Thursday, July 26, 2007

Do I own my posessions?

Or do they own me?

The winnowing down, the looking through, the cutting back has begun in earnest. I spent some time over the weekend going through what was left of my stuff at the Mango Hut. I've made a pledge to finish moving - and to select only the belongings that will fit into my bedroom dresser and single night stand. Oh, and the chest on castors that holds my cake supplies. So, I began to go through things piece by piece. I had several piles - the sell on ebay pile (yea, like I'll ever do that), the sell on Craig's (maybe), keep, donate and throw the hell away.

I didn't get a chance to take my donated stuff away, so Pebbles called me this morning just to make sure that I really did want to donate the stuff in that box. "Really? You are giving away that cup and saucer set? And my favorite table cloth?" Ouch. Shot through the gut. Getting rid of stuff at this level is tough. I've done a good job of getting rid of the easy stuff over the years. So each piece that is left causes me some level of discomfort with it's disposal. I was sorely tempted to take some of it back, but I've managed to live without even seeing any of it for months - and I haven't used any of it for years, in some cases. I do want to live a simplified life, my peace and serenity depend upon it.

Take care of yourself. Be kind to others. Take stock of your stuff.

-Roxie

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this - I feel like I am in Pebbles' place, asking my mom not to get rid of stuff, but I need to learn to let go and if I *really* want it (whatever it may be - furniture, dishes, etc) it needs to come live with me and not her. I need to look at it from MOM's perspective and let things go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a hard one for me as well... When my mom passed away suddenly, I unfortunately wasn't in the place in my life where I could keep the things she had that I wanted. (furniture, etc) plus at the time I apparently had no taste and didn't like most of her stuff anyway.

    Now that I am in such a different place and have the means to have the things (that we SOLD) I live in a world of REGRET. I am mad at myself for not having the insight to store the stuff, or the balls to ask others to store it for me.

    Roxie, as the mom, if there is anything you think she MIGHT want down the road, keep it if you can and or confront her about what she might want and tell her to take it. And Karen, if you think you might want stuff, just ask her to keep it at least until you can get back stateside!! Don't have regrets.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.