Wednesday, August 1, 2007

It's a better day

Got out of the dumps by late yesterday. Bought a new timer for the crockpot and hope I don't burn the house down today - or create such a petri dish of bacteria that I give both Bick and I some horrible food borne illness. I'm going to get my nails done this evening.

I find myself falling into the trap of failing to provide myself with enough self-care. I find it so easy to put other priorities over my own. And no one is even asking me to - I don't know why I do this, but I don't think I'm alone in this affliction. Seems like every woman I speak with will put everyone and every other thing in front of taking care of herself. It almost feels like I'm doing something wrong - both in terms on time and money - by indulging myself a little. And seriously, the nail thing is the BEST money I spend. It really is a simplifying thing. Spend an hour every three weeks or so and my nails look great each and every day. So why the hell does it feel like pulling teeth? I'm just going home to sit on the porch or cook dinner or fold clothes or any of the other tasks that Bick is perfectly capable (and willing) to do.

See, I think this is how it starts. "And then she just let herself go" - I don't think that it's always SHE, and the term "let herself go" implies laziness, a checkbox checked, and now she can sit back and watch soaps and eat bon-bons. No, I think it's just that we superimpose other priorities over our own self-care, and then before we know it, we've morphed or deconstructed into something else.

Anyway, I'm going to get my damn nails done after work.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Seriously, that first thing, do it.

-Roxie

1 comment:

  1. Someone jumped from your blog to mine, so I came over to check it out and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.