Thursday, October 25, 2007

Opportunity to practice

Today afforded me the opportunity to exercise my "do the right thing" muscles. Got an email from Mom outlining her latest tragedy. I managed to sidestep getting involved in that particular drama, although there is enough to go around. I am taking her to a meeting with a retirement counselor tomorrow to discuss her severance. I am not looking forward to that at all. I don't know what I will do and how involved I will be. Bick's advice is to give your best, objective advice and let it go. The deal is, however, that I feel like I will be forced into a decision "because I'm educated" which translated means "I really want you to make this decision for me so if it goes bad, I'll have someone else to blame".

I also received a lovely invitation to join Pebbles and Guy next February to go skiing at Whistler. She even offered to use her miles to get my ticket. Ah, travel. One of my weaknesses. I really, really love to travel. And I would love to go back to Whistler to ski. I was just recovering from surgery the only other time we went - oh, god, ten or so years ago. It could be so cool. And then during yoga practice this afternoon, I left the land of rainbows and unicorns and it became clear - I do not want to do this - not with Pebbles and Guy. With Pebbles? Yes. With Guy? Yes, even with Guy. With Pebbles and Guy for nearly a week? That is a beating that I do not need - and it comes at Pebbles' hand. Guy does a decent job of keeping her in check, but she still strays way over the line, in my opinion. So, I will not "rent that crazy" - even if she is buying.

3 comments:

  1. Man, you crack me up... "i left the land of rainbows and unicorns..." I have to remember this one. Classic!!

    And I can 100% relate to the whole having someone else make the decision for you so they will have someone else to blame. I am married to someone who does this to me all the time. But it's usually more "I'll LET you DO it for me then when I don't like how it's turned out, I can tell you how badly you've screwed it up."

    He makes me sooo mad when he does, but then again, I think it's more of "my need to control" that won't allow me to just stop DOING the things... We go round and round on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can help with the financial planning aspect -- even to make sure they asked the right questions, please let me know.
    Emphasize to your Mom that you are there to help provide moral support but these are her decisions. I recommend she utilize the retirement counselor as much as possible.
    Please let me know if I can help in any way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, that was me-- Meg posting the previous message.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.