Monday, November 5, 2007

Beck Diet Solution: Day 17

End overeating.

Today's exersize asks you to overload your plate with more food than you plan to eat or to include a food that is not on your meal plan. Purpose being to get in the habit of strengthening your resistance muscles when faced with situations where you are not in control over what goes on your plate. I plan to practice this exercise at dinner tonight. Sandy (who is in hot water with EVERYONE right now for a stupid stunt she pulled over the weekend) is coming over for dinner tonight and to talk with her Dad. We traditionally serve foods that I don't normally eat when she's there, so this will be my opportunity to perform this exercise.

My first thought when reading through this exercise was that it was probably a waste of time for me, but as I read through the session notes, I realized that this really is something that I need to work on. The session notes involve a discussion around too much food on a plate and how that made the patient nervous. "That's silly", I thought. Except that it doesn't made me nervous, in some cases, it makes me mad! So let's split the difference between nervous and mad, and realize that sometimes extra food on my plate makes me anxious when I am trying to eat on program. So anxious, in fact, that I find it hard to enjoy the rest of my meal. Case in point - Bick and I have a favorite breakfast place. As a matter of course, potatoes and bread come with every order and I always request that they don't serve them to me and about half the time, they don't. The bread is always served on the side, but when they serve me potatoes, it is on MY PLATE. It really irritates me to the point of me becoming annoying and whiny (to Bick) and I have to get the stuff off of my plate - so I end up putting them on his and I still fume about it. He, of course, eats what he wants and leaves the rest. No problem. It does create some tension for me - not at the waitstaff, or the kitchen staff, but internally. This will require further thought and response cards, no doubt.

What felt on the surface as a blow-off exercise, really does have some value when it comes to how I deal with these issues.

1 comment:

  1. BINGO! It was the same thing with me. I thought some of the tasks didn't apply to me then, SURPRISE! They were exactly what I needed! You're doing great, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.