Friday, November 16, 2007

Beck Diet Solution: Day 22

Say, Oh, well, to disappointment.

Oh, well means I don't like it, but I'm going to accept it, Beck writes. I don't like it but I'm going to have to stop banging my head against the wall, tilting at windmills and trying to put lipstick on a pig. This strategy sort of dovetails into another philosophy that I'm trying to incorporate into my life - arte di non fare niente - the art of doing nothing.

So many times in my life, I've felt called into action. That I must do something. That it's up to me to solve/make better/fix/get inappropriately involved in someone else's pig farm. Now I'm trying to learn the fine art of doing nothing, arte di non fare niente - which is also Italian for "not my pig", but it sounds much classier. Right now, I'm trying to practice the fine art of doing nothing and I guess I need to apply some of Beck's techniques on this as well. I'm pretty much obsessing over Mom's situation and the fact that I think she'll be broke within two years and after watching Oprah's show yesterday on compulsive shoppers/hoarders trying to decide whether to talk to her about her problems. I need to learn to turn off these thoughts that keep me up at night - perhaps by using some distraction techniques or using arte di non fare niente as a mantra. I've pretty much decided that I can't - I can't fix this and she's totally not open to admitting she has an issue, so the consequences, however dire, will just have to be hers. Arte di non fare niente - the art of doing nothing.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Practice arte di non fare niente.

-Roxie


Progress report: Ate within program, got in some exercise at lunch, but no Jesus Gym due to traffic snarls for both Bick and me.

1 comment:

  1. That was horrifying watching that family on Oprah yesterday. My heart just ached for them... Especially the husband. At first I leaned being mad at them both, (addict & enabler) but after seeing her in action, and listening to the Psych, I was just left feeling horrible for them.

    I was able to even see myself in her. Not nearly to the degree, but the "filling the void" for sure. Shopping, eating, TV, it's all there!! I can't wait to see the reveal today!

    I like your new Mantra!!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.