Saturday, January 26, 2008

Retreat

I had a lovely time with Meg yesterday. It involved near-strippers, BBQ and lots of driving, but it also included quiet visits and a cup or two of tea. She brought up something that I'd been thinking about for a while. Retreat. I'm feeling the need to spend some time alone. It has nothing to do with Bick, but I've always, since childhood, had the opportunity to spend time by myself. Sometimes I had no choice and was lonely, but I just feel like I don't have any time to just sit, read, reflect and be really contemplative. So for the last few days, I'd been looking around trying to find some sort of retreat - not just a fun weekend of shopping or sightseeing with girlfriends. I wanted some sort of meditative, spiritual component, maybe some yoga or tai chi thrown in. I don't care if its with monks, quakers or candlestick makers - I'm just looking for a couple of days to be with my own thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. In Dec. 2001, I went to a Jesuit retreat house north of Dallas for a silent weekend. It was great. http://www.montserratretreat.org/

    karen
    tempestinateapot.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful thing to recognize and honor. There's a place in Augusta, GA, that will let people go and be quiet, but I'm guessing there are places closer to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh, I've wanted to do the montserrat retreat for a decade now. Do it!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.