Monday, February 25, 2008

Sunday in the Dog Park with George

I'm sure there was a George. I met a Fred, two Tacos, a Shiner and more Sadie's than I can count. We took Barkley and Sadie to visit the dog park on Sunday afternoon. What a fun outing! I've never seen dogs so happy - it's like every dog there had a smile on it's face. I was a bit scared and skeptical at first, but both our dogs seemed to handle it just fine. Barkley wanted to visit with other dogs and play and Sadie wanted to meet other people. It was a lovely sunshiney day and Bick and I enjoyed getting out and talking with new people and new dogs, as well. It was a grand success. Both dogs feel asleep on the way home, woke up enough to eat dinner and then went back to sleep and slept all evening and night. It was wonderful.

Lovely weekend, beginning Friday with a trip to our favorite little oyster bar in Grapevine. It's a an SPJST - small place just south of town with a good atmosphere and very nice owners. We've been there several times and the oysters are good and the regulars are, well, regular. Nice neighborhood place. We walked up and had dinner on main street and it wasn't near as good, but it was nice to get out of the house.

I'm taking Sandy to see Chicago on Thursday. I won't say that I'm struggling with my feelings about her- I just don't want to develop negative emotions that are inappropriate for me to have based upon my relationship to her. I am not her parent. So rather than isolate myself from her, which is my instinct, as she is pressing what would be all my hot-buttons if I were her Mom, I'm going to make an effort to spend a little time with her one-on-one, with no agenda. She's not mine to educate, she's just mine to tolerate. And I understand that this is more about me than it is about her and I just don't want to develop negative feelings and labels that linger. She has never done anything bad to me, period. Boundaries, Roxie, boundaries.

I just need to remember that she is not mine to raise and that she is very, very young. She seems very excited about going and I know that she will enjoy it. I've always wanted to see a live production, so she was the perfect person to ask to accompany me. She's been a dancer for years and years.

Had another go with Mom over the damned carport. Again I had to say that the carport is not a priority for me. I always feel so stinking guilty over crap like this - followed quickly by resentment at being put in this position. Again, all my stuff. More with the boundaries and appropriate behavior stuff - this living like an adult can be tough! Saw Elton John make an interesting statement about his spouse - basically that before he met David(?) that his relationships were more about taking hostages. I understand the feeling - and have been on both sides of that equation, I think.

Ate well, but got no organized exercise, save for a lot of dog walking. Still, I'll take it. Feeling good. Don't know what the scales are saying, but my pants are talking sweet.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Go to a dog park, even if you don't have a dog.

-Roxie

1 comment:

  1. I have to tell you, I am so impressed with how you are handling things with Sandy. My inclination would be to just shut her out...but you are handling her so well - with dignity and patience. Your influence on her can only be positive.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.