Tuesday, March 25, 2008

And so it begins:

ROXIE:

The earliest I would be able to leave would be July 1. I've got orientation sessions through June 30. And I will want to stay one week, max - but that doesn't mean that you and (sister) can't stay longer.

MOM:

Why do you want to stay just one week?


ROXIE:

I don't want to use up all my vacation time. I'm taking 7 days in April, some in July and we are thinking about going somewhere in October.


MOM:

I think it would be a hassle to get to the airport for me anymore, you have problems finding it. So I don't want you to use your vacation on us, it has always been the trend, and thought you would continue, but I see Bick usually gets his way. ;ll call Bruce and tell him it is off...He has worked his butt off trying to get things situated. It is OK, I can see you would want to do things with your family...It is OK.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's an amazingly manipulative response. I can only imagine how hard it is to respond reasonably. (Because I wouldn't be able to!) Hang in there and good luck with the vacation planning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stand your ground. You are being entirely reasonable.

    BTW, kudos to mom on adding that "Bick gets his way" zinger. Bick is absolutely not the problem, and yet she gets to use him to increase your guilt. If you weren't such a together person, mom could have scored with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE being reasonable. You should have ZERO guilt about this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - she's good! Not everyone can be so manipulative in an e-mail. It takes great skill to send those barbs through and still have them sharp enough to sting when the e-mail is opened. This is a game for her whether she realizes it or not. Don't let it push your emotional buttons. Just decide what your counter move will be and launch it. Consider it a complicated game of chess and protect your queen!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.