Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The University of Reality

Bick and XMB welcomed Sandy to the University of Reality last night. The XMB was willing to try to rein in Sandy in some ways, so the three of them met last night to discuss the new rules and expectations and what it means when you are no longer a student - the parental financial aid stops cold. She may decide that she wants to move out again, but as her Dad pointed out to her, then it just gets tougher financially. They will meet again next week, where Sandy is to present her budget with a plan to pay back some of the money she owes her Mom and Dad - (she charged a $300-plus radar detector as a gift for some guy to her Dad's credit card and he expects to be repaid for that one). She's pulled some equally impressive stunts on her mother. This is all about more than grades - there's the deceipt, lying, and the impressive sense of entitlement.

Unfortunately, Tough Love 101 will only work if XMB has enough spine to stick with it, so it's up to Bick to acknowledge how difficult this is for her. He did tell her that if she didn't do something, she would go from being a "danceteam-name Mom" last year (XMB was very active in the parental support of the dance team - an officer and fund raiser, etc) to "Waffle House Mom" next year if she didn't step up and head Sandy off at the pass. So perhaps this is a step in the right direction. Only time will tell.

I took a day off yesterday to catch up with some errands and take care of some long-overdue beauty treatments. Ended up being a great day, with a strange coincidence. On Sunday, I'd been out buying all my plants for my summer container gardens and ended up filling up two carts. I'd left them unattended to go look at something else and when I came back there was this little old lady looking through my plants. She thought that someone had put together a very nice display and was doing her shopping from my selections! We had a laugh, chatted a bit and went on about our business. Well, yesterday, I'll kiss your foot if I didn't run into her again, this time at the tire store, thirty miles from where I'd seen her the day before! So we chatted a bit more this time, she asked me my opinion about tire brands and whether this place was a good place to do business. Her name is Maudie and she's 76 years old. She's moved to the town just north of Reata North just a couple of years ago, after her husband died. I gave her my name and phone number and told her to call me- that I'd love to see her gardens and we'd go out to lunch some Saturday.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Reality - sometimes it sucks and sometimes it's quite sweet.

-Roxie

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I wish I could find a Maudie. I've always been very drawn to older, wiser, and interesting individuals. Thought I probably should have done something job wise even working with the elderly.

    Just hearing this story warms my heart. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps... (not to make too light of the subject) but, "Yum, Waffle House." Nowhere to be found in Ca.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.