Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Vacation Detonation

So much for my vacation plans. Seems the farmhouse requires immediate attention. Last renters left it an absolute disaster according to reports. Don't know how much damage was done or how much cleaning, clearing up and painting will be needed, but I'll see it in about 12 hours and then I'll know more.

And that's not the worst of it - the worst of it will be dealing with Mom about this. She will want to completely redo everything, new flooring, new carpet, new whatever and this place is going to be sold soon and probably demolished and there will be absolutely no return on investment. I've spent as much real money on this place as I'm going to, but it is these situations where I always get in my own way and end up resenting it. I will jump in and handle/bankroll these situations just to keep her from doing it. Stupid. So I just need to accept the fact that she's going to do this and I don't have any control over it and I will just have to feel that very uncomfortable feeling of setting a limit and then enforcing it. The good news is that I've had a few hours to deal with it and develop a plan/limit. Now to stick to it.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Make it stick.

-Roxie

2 comments:

  1. Grab a realtor, haul them out there and get their opinion on what to do to get the most bang for your buck. Pretty sure a realtor will advise you for free - with the expectation that they get the listing.

    At least then, if you REALLY want to minimize the expense of repairs, you can lean on the realtors advice as far as what to go after. (I'm really good at transferring blame . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That brian, he's a smart one. Have a good trip.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.