Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sadness and disbelief

I'd heard the story from some one here at work last week. It even made national news. I'd read the accounts, but never made any personal connection. I knew vaguely of the peace officer - I know that she ran a boarding stable just outside of my hometown. She moved there long after I left.

I left home right after graduation from high school - quite literally the next day. So I don't think of people by their married names, so when I read this story a few days ago, I never made the connection. Today I was perusing the obits in my hometown paper and I still didn't recognize the name, but continued reading until I came to the parent's name and took another look at the photo. I went through school with Julie. A kinder, dearer person one could never meet. We ran in the same circles, not close with each other, particullary, but had a lot of close friends in common. She worked in the hometown grocery store - had since she was 15 years old. So I made it a point to see her every time I went home. In fact, many times she was the first person I saw that I knew in town. I always made it a point to check out in her lane and visit a little bit. And she would always make it a point to tell others that we knew that she'd seen me and that I was in town for a while.

1 comment:

  1. This is bone chilling. It's always hard to learn of a person you know who dies tragically. I'm so sorry.

    My nephew just lost a friend who was murdered. I believe this also made national news as he was a student at Pace University in NYC. So tragic and senseless...

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.