Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Joys of Gardening at 159.5

Bick and I dismantled our row-covering system last night in preparation for our first freeze that came with lots of wind. Our system of mini-greenhouses works really well, unless the wind gets up over thirty miles an hour, then things get ripped to shit. So we removed the "ribs" and just put the covering down low. The ribs will go back in as soon as the wind lays down some.

I have never grown nor cooked chard, so I don't really know how cold hardy it is, so I decided to harvest a batch of it last night for dinner. It may be my favorite green ever. I fixed it the Italian way, according to the recipe - sauteed with some garlic, onion, a little white wine and lemon juice. I served it with tomato slices on top, all topped with freshly grated, good parmesan. Yummy doesn't begin to cover it! Chard will definitely go into next years' winter garden. It's a keeper.

We are having trouble pulling together our itinerary for our trip. There's just too much to see and too little time, so we will need to edit judiciously. Bick had the bright idea of watching travelogs on TV, so we loaded up our Netflix queue. We ate dinner last night in front of the TV watching and it didn't do a damn thing to cut things off our list - it just added stuff. I don't know how we are going to get this done. I want to head straight west and spend more time just milling around there. That is, until I saw what the southern coast had to offer. Oh well. We need to decide soon. Since it's off season and a lot of places are closed for the season, we feel like we need to make our reservations early. We are scheduled to sit down Sunday and start that process. We'll see. 12 more working days until Christmas vacation. Yippee!

Update on my coke habit: I've had one a day since starting to wean off. Usually it's the one I get at the drive thru with my Jack in the Box grilled chicken strips. I hate the thought of making two stops, one to get a Diet Lipton Green Tea, but I could stop at the corner store on campus on my way out to the parking lot and pick up on there. Hmm, that's a thought. All I know is that the on-the-way-home-via-long-commute stop for protein allows me not to chew of Bick's arm when I walk in the door. I can then cook and eat a reasonable dinner. It's working for me. Even with the Diet Coke :-)

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Out with the old and in with the new.

-Roxie

1 comment:

We'll try this for a while.