Friday, January 9, 2009

Day Two - Dublin, continued.

We walked around a bit more, trying to make a decision on dinner. I remembered a Moroccan restaurant I'd seen during one of our earlier jaunts on a sidestreet in the Temple Bar area and I managed to find it again. It turned out to be one of the best meals we've ever had. Lovely experience.

I'll have to look up the name of the restaurant- I think it was Timgod, or something like that. The entrance was on a sidestreet off of Fleet Street in the Temple Bar area and it fronted the Liffey River. It was a small, narrow place, with maybe six tables and a long bench with stations for two set along the wall. It was understated, but tastefully decorated with an elaborate hookah in the corner. Pillows and gorgeous rugs adorned the room. There was just one waitress, a beautiful woman wrapped in a couple of hip scarves. She didn't appear to be arabic, more likely eastern European, as Ireland has experienced a wave of immigration from former eastern bloc nations.

We had the restaurant pretty much to ourselves, after all, it was early by Irish standards. Bick and I never could get in tuned with the Irish timetable. I ordered tabuleh for us to share as a starter. Bick turned up his nose when I ordered it, but dove right in when it appeared, complete with some lovely flat bread and dipping oil. I did something I said I was never going to do again and that was order sea bass. I've always been disappointed, but this time it was glorious. It had capers and spices and a lighter-than-air sauce, served alongside some eggplant and some other vegetable side dish that was equally good. It was just a lovely, flavorful plate. Bick ordered the lamb which came with couscous and vegetables cooked in a terra cotta cooker/steamer thing. It was brought to the table in separate vessels and then mixed at the table. I had a bite of the lamb - it was the best ever.

It was not an expensive meal by Dublin standards, but it was a wonderful experience. Good service, interesting ambiance and lovely, flavorful, well-presented dishes.

As I write this, I'm beginning to sense a theme - walking around and eating seem to be the theme of this vacation. While in Dublin, we say few, dare I say none of the traditional tourist spots, other than by wandering past them. I can't say that we paid admission to any site (although we did try) while in Dublin. We just tried to act as if we lived there for a couple of days. Oh, and I guess I haven't mentioned my passion for going in grocery stores - no wonder my ass is what it is! I love going into grocery stores and just wandering the aisles looking at what's the same and what's different. Picking up tins of unfamiliar products just to see what they really are. I enjoyed perusing the canned food aisle and purchasing nothing (no space, alas) just as much as I did looking and buying some Waterford crystal. So on all our outings, we walked through every grocery store we passed.

We stopped in a listened to some more trad (traditional Irish music) went to The Alamo restaurant, because, well, it was The Alamo and how could we not, for a dessert coffee and called it a night.

Next up - The Clown Car.

1 comment:

  1. That's exactly how I like to travel too - walk around, eat, go to grocery stores. It sounds like you had a fine time!

    My tip for groceries: peruse the spice section, as you may find interesting little packets or jars of seasonings you won't find here. They only weigh an ounce or few in the luggage.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.