Saturday, January 3, 2009

Like a Rock

The trip was fabulous. We had good trip karma the whole way through. Bick was an awesome navigator and really was good at talking me through the hairy parts, and there were some seriously hairy parts. But it's those hairy driving "serious bends" that we'll both remember most.

Ireland is gorgeous. Beautiful every place you look. I cannot wait to return. My favorite place was Dingle. If I had it to do over again, I would spend the first couple of days in Dublin and then head straight to Dingle and spend the remainder of my time in one place - taking day trips from there. Wonderful people and stunning scenery. We met up with some wonderful locals and Bick learned to play/shoot snooker. We heard lots of great music (other than 80's music on the radio - it was like being in a "where are they now VH1 highlight reel"). And I fell in LOVE with soda bread and Irish butter! I had kippers for breakfast, tried black pudding and didn't hate it and had one of my most memorable meals in Dublin at a Moroccan restaurant.

There were some disappointments - many sights were closed, without having posted such info on their websites. We'd show up at a place - a serious, national tourist site, only to find a paper note taped to the door/entrance/whatever announcing they would be closed until after the New Year. Oh well, we still had a good time. Great time.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had a blast!
    I have yet to visit Ireland which is ridiculous because I have cousins who live there! in County Meath.
    Thank you for your encouraging words & support, Roxie.
    I have no shame in seeking professional help, thank God. I agree that we'd all benefit from time to time...a little tweaking.
    I think some of the people who attach a stigma to it need it the most :)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the trip. Being overseas can be so exhausting. At least you (mostly) spoke the language. So how IS that driving on the wrong side of the road?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are fun... So glad you all had a great time. You deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.