Thursday, March 12, 2009

Chicken Sitters

So one day last week, Bick was in a neighbor's backyard drinking beer with the guys, ALA King of the Hill when the conversation turned to said neighbor's chickens. These chickens had been "free ranging" it old school all over the neighborhood, so the conversational turn wasn't exactly unplanned on Bick's part. We were getting ready to put in our spring garden and we didn't need Henny Penny undoing all our good work.

The young couple (hee, hell, they are in the thirties - young is all about perspective) doesn't know much about chickens. Bick, AKA The Chicken Whisperer, in the past, explained to them a couple of key chicken concepts: molting and no roosters required. Last week's lesson involved trimming/clipping feathers in order to keep from chasing your damned chickens all over the neighborhood. Yee Haw - it's a Rhode Island Red Roundup.

Turns out said couple is going to Galveston for Spring Break and Bick volunteered us to chicken sit. In addition, he also volunteered me to clean out the coop, as I do love some chicken litter as garden compost. In exchange, we get the eggs! So, it's a win all the way around.

ETA: Today's exercise will be some sort of treadmill. I've decided to give my shoulder a rest. Doing yoga without the use of my left arm would just consist of taking nap on the map for 50 minutes - not necessarily a bad thing.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Some days, things just go your way.

-Roxie
161.5

2 comments:

  1. You are so funny! I'm at work and have to contain myself. You and Bick must be a pair!

    Post some chick-pics if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Bick's quite the smoothie I guess!

    I also subliminally added an "h" in the appropriate place as I read your title. Then you got to the cleaning out the coop part and it tarted to seem appropriate.

    How do you handle the pH of the chicken manure? I understood that it was pretty extreme one way or the other. Or do you just spread it around really good and not let it concentrate?

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.