Monday, March 9, 2009

A Run Through The Nostalgia Forest

Dad, in the sweatshirt, would have been 75 on Friday. This picture was taken about a year before his death and was in the slides I went through last weekend. Pretty awesome picture.

So I hit the treadmill today to have that run. Did a nice, slow 5k and pretty much loved every step of it. I like it when I feel that way DURING the exercise. What helped it along was Ax Men. We don't have cable, so I have only seen this show one other time, but man, oh man, did it take me back. I grew up in timber country. Dad spent some time (when he needed extra money) working setting chokers for his cousins. They had a small logging company that operated out of Forks. Very much like this.

So I'm running along, watching the show when I heard the "Talkie Tooter" in the background. It's basically a serious of whistles to let the crew know when the timber is on the yarder. I spent a lot of my growing up years horseback riding through the mountains and you could always hear that sound in the background from some far off mountain face. And don't get me started on the clothes. Not much has changed. Even when he wasn't actually working in the woods, he wore the logging uniform - pegged Can't Bust Ems, held up by suspenders and a hickory shirt. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the boots (non-cork variety) that everyone wore as well. I can't find a picture of the jeans, but they were as ubiquitous in Washington as Wranglers are in Texas. Part of the culture, long after the logging industry had passed.

1 comment:

  1. I love the photo. He looks so handsome and strong.

    This was so interesting! It must have been quite an experience growing up there. I love watching "Ax Men" - such manly men! A very dangerous life for sure.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.