Wednesday, March 18, 2009

This Spud's for You


It takes a long time to get from where I live up in Hillbilly Haven to Where The West Begins. I spend nearly two and one quarter hours a day (sometimes more) in a vehicle performing one wicked-ass commute. I used to listen to NPR all the time, but even I tired of that after about a month. Bick has offered to buy me satellite radio, but I'm a button-pusher/channel-changer and more stations would only give me carpel tunnel. So I rely upon my local library(s) and their books on tape (CD) collection to preserve my sanity and keep my menopausal road rage in check.

I have come to know that I need to check out about a half-dozen at a time to get me through the three week check-out period. Turns out, you can't judge a book on tape by it's cover either. Some crap is unlistenable. I usually try to mix it up between fiction and non-fiction. Yesterday was the day for new stuff, so off to the library I went.

I'm almost ashamed to admit how much I laughed out loud this morning while listening to The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide To Men. It certainly made that snarly mess of traffic I must traverse each morning a little better on this day. It's not great literature, but it doesn't have to be. The reader's voice sounds like the female half of the Poolville Pagans so it was like having A talk to me all the way to work this morning.

Yesterday's lunch run was a bomb. Legs felt like absolute lead, as did every other part of my body. I couldn't force myself to put in a mile. Usually if I can make it past the first mile things will loosen up, lighten up, or some other voo-doo will happen and I can complete the run. Yesterday, it just wasn't happening. So I slowed down the dreadmill, cranked up the incline and went hill climbing instead.

Today I'm thinking about running outside. I've got to go early, as the womens' locker room is closing down at 1pm, so I'll need to be done and gone by that time. Should be a nice day and god knows I could use a teeny little bit of sunkissing right about now. I am fishbelly white.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Have a laugh.

-Roxie
159.5


photo courtesy of publicdomainpictures.com

2 comments:

  1. I read "The Sweet potato Queen's Book of Love" a few years ago for my neighborhood book club. I don't think I've ever laughed out loud as much from reading a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to go check out our library. I went all the time when my kiddo was young. I need a book to make me LOL so I'll be hunting this one down.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.