Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I did it.

I am debt free. I paid off the last of my consumer debt this morning. It has taken me far longer than I thought and I probably should have declared bankruptcy when I divorced the ExBubba. But I didn't. I trudged on. The amounts we/I owed were staggering, but it's done. All of it. I own my house, my car and got my kid through college, without going further into debt - she elected to take out a small loan for her bonus semester abroad. There were some lean and scary times.

I probably could have done this a while ago, but with the notice I received a couple of days ago telling me that I had overpaid on my final payment on another bill, I just decided to pull the trigger this morning and be done with it.

I am grateful and thankful and don't know whether to laugh or cry. It's a rather dubious thing, allowing/standing for that much debt to happen. Codependent tendencies can hurt you in many, many ways. I've learned a lot since then and I believe that I am much better equipped to not put others wants in front of my own needs.

I'm now living a life that is much more in line with my values. It's less cluttered and less chaotic. My life over the last ten or so years has been an interesting, sometimes painful, journey to a better understanding of myself and what has driven me in the past. I am hopeful that I will not make the same mistakes again.

6 comments:

  1. Here! Here! What an accomplishment! Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY COW! You are now offically my HERO. If I was you I would laugh AND cry. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! This is wonderful - you are quite an inspiration to the rest of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. High fives to you, girl! Wowser!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!
    That is so awesome and such a HUGE accomplishment.
    I hope you know how rare you are to have changed your habits and gotten out of debt and not taken the easy way out by declaring bankruptcy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, congratulations! I know it was hard work but in the end totally worth it. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.