Thursday, April 9, 2009

Just Keep At It

I am not perfect. I can never be perfect. Humans, if they bear any humanity, can't be perfect. So when I fail to be perfect, why does this surprise me? I do feel like I am less judgmental when I don't behave in the way that I aspire to, but it still twinges a bit. And I'm not talking about eating or exercising here, although those activities do apply. Mostly I'm talking about my inability to be perfect when traversing life's obstacles. I know more now and I'm doing better. I will (I am hopeful) continue to do better; but to expect perfection from the imperfect is a recipe for disappointment.

Assess, but do not engage in harsh judgments. Strive to do better and rather than berate oneself for the mistakes, be grateful that now one has a much better set of skills with which to deal with life and the requisite messiness. Know in one's very bones that everything will be okay. It's only a matter of when. I want to keep the big picture in mind.

I'm probably going to my last PT session for a while. Shoulder is rapidly improving from the drugs. The therapist will give me another set of home exercises to follow, but he basically agrees that I don't need to spend any more time in therapy, unless it flares up again. Whew! I'm glad to be free of this. Of course, I don't know how it will do after I stop taking the scripts, but I'm thinking things are pretty good. Went to the gym again yesterday for a melange of exercises, which I enjoyed. Although I did feel guilty when I saw this woman my age running while I was just riding the bicycle again. Roxie, this is NOT a competition.

I did, however, eat like crap yesterday. I succumbed to the call of the Whataburger. I cannot even remember the last time I had a burger, but it was a damned fine one. I ate it and enjoyed every bit of it.


Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Don't expect perfection, just progress.

-Roxie
162.5

2 comments:

  1. "Don't expect perfection, just progress." ~ Roxie

    Wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just found your blog and love it. Thanks for the great insights!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.