Tuesday, April 21, 2009

On the beam - the balance beam

I've made the decision to give up my weekday morning coffee. Coffee is not a life-long habit with me, which is strange considering I was born and reared in Washington. I just never got into the habit until I started living with Bick. TheExBubba drank the requisite truckdriver's amount of coffee, but since he wasn't home daily, I never got into the routine of starting the day with a cuppa joe. I did, however, adopt Bick's couple of cups each and every morning habit.

Now drinking coffee itself isn't necessarily a bad habit. But I don't really drink coffee, I drink coffee punch - a concoction of real cream and splenda, which after drinking a couple of mugs full adds a couple of hundred calories to my daily total. And while I do not count calories per se, calories do count and if I can take-it-or-leave-it, it makes more sense to just leave it. I'd rather spend those calories in some other way. Or right now, I'd prefer to try to build up a small, but steady daily deficit. Weight loss is stalled, and while I am unwilling to do a restrictive "diet" along with heavy duty exercise, I am looking for a balance of daily pleasurable exercise and daily reasonable food intake. It just makes sense for me to make this adjustment.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Find your perfect balance.

-Roxie

(I haven't weighed this week, after the weekend's popcorn, I'm still blowed up like a dead possum).

6 comments:

  1. I have never seen a dead possum, so I will take your word for it. When I drank coffee I drank the same punch, only with vanilla creamer, even more calories. I like your attitude about finding balance with your eating and exercise. I think balance is the key to lots of things. Thanks for your insightful posts, and the comments you leave me. Word for the day BALANCE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been considering the same thing. It's easier to skip the morning coffee once the weather warms up. Maybe replace it with green tea...hmmm, thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so-been-thinking of giving up my coffee. I drink mine sweet and creamy, too. I used to be a tea drinker but when I tasted coffee all sweet and creamy, I was hooked. What about the lead? How ever will I get my motor running at work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you fill us in on the outcome of this "deficit..?" I too drink mine with the ole' 1/2-1/2 with splenda. I've tried in the past to do without, so I don't see myself doing this anytime soon, but I would be curious to see what those missing calories would do alone.

    I did go without today as mine completely spilled in the car before I could even get a sip. grr. Needless to say it's just been one of those days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can cut them out & not miss them, so much the better!

    I've gotten hoked on those flavored creamers. Even with using the pink/blue/yellow sweeteners, there's still extra calories involved. Insidious little things.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.