Saturday, June 6, 2009

Garden City

I came home from a meeting to find Bick picking our first heirloom green beans of the season. These are "tarheel" beans that I got from friends back home in Washington. They grow these beans every year from seeds that they save. They were gracious enough to give me some "creasy" non-pole requiring seeds. Actually, they gave me seeds from four different varieties that they grow.

I tried the pole beans last year and got six beans. I think I waited too late in the season to plant them. This year, I lost the first batch to late frost, but got them back in the ground asap. I cannot wait for dinner tonight! Bick also harvested ten summer squash and four zucs. The tomato plants are LOADED! This is the best garden we've ever done. Oh, and there was a solitary okra pod. I accidentally planted a dwarf variety of okra and they are less than knee high! I noticed my error and planted the regular ones in another bed. Don't know if they cross-bred or not. That remains to be seen. But the little ones are a bloomin'.

The longhorn topiary goes in the ground today. This is another of our "yard art" projects. Bick, being a proud Texan and purveyor of the tacky, has a set of longhorns that were festooned with white lights that served as Christmas lawn decor. He won custody of this herd in his divorce, but the lights have long since vanished and the metal structure has begun to rust. He has decided that they will make the perfect topiary. He wants to grow morning glory up and around them. So he's popped the biggest one into the center of the fire ring we purchased at the Tractor Supply, thank you very much. Bick, smart dude that he is, decided after a few tries that starting a fire, even for fun in a fire ring in drought-ridden North Central Texas doesn't make him the sharpest tool in the shed. So the fire ring is to add more of that rusty patina that we both love much and serve as center stage for the new lawn art exhibit here at Hillbilly Haven.

I've got coffee perking (it's the weekend!) and I'll have a cup then hit the gym for a workout this morning. After that, it's off to the mulch depot and garden center to get this party started.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Create.

-Roxie

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get home to my garden. I planted everything the week before we left, and it's been really warm in Washington since. We have automatic watering that comes on twice a week, but I'm not sure if that was enough...I hope so.

    It will either be beautiful...or a disaster! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a lot of squash! Would love to see pictures! Thanks for visiting my blog and posting. Nice to meet you, Roxie.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.