Friday, July 24, 2009

Eating Crow for Breakfast



"and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it"


Exactly how many carbs does crow have when one is having it ala carte? Boy, this character-building stuff really sucks sometimes.

I attempted to make an apology to a co-worker this morning as word got back to me that she finds me intimidating and that a recent conversation with me had left her "wilted". While I don't believe I was wrong in assessing the situation, I could have errored in the delivery of the message. I can be direct and Bick tells me that I can develop a "tone". So with that in mind, I'm eating crow this morning.

She wasn't at her desk, but I was prepared for that possibility and had brought along a handwritten note containing a real apology - not an "I'm sorry if you were offended" which I don't think is much of an apology. I can apologize for the delivery if not the content.

There. It's done. I feel better and I hope she will too. More stuff to work on.

Going to hit a spin class at lunch today.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Eat a little crow from time to time.

-Roxie
149.5

9 comments:

  1. If you avoid the feathers, crow is mostly protein I believe. Even the feathers may count more as a fiber than a carb.

    Sounds like your amends were offered quickly and sincerely. For what it's worth, I think you did a fine job. Too many other people would have just passed it off as the coworker "has too thin a skin".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you handle that. I find that promptly admitting when I am wrong makes life much easier. It's like doing an internal "clean sweep". Lots of hard feeling could be avoided by doing this.

    Once you can aknowledge your character defects it's easier to work on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that step because, as hard as it can be to make the apology, it gets it out of your head and you are DONE - your side of the street is clean.

    P.S. My cat caught a huge crow the other day and was meowing at me from outside the window, showing me the still-alive crow in his mouth! I sent my dog out to chase the cat and make him let go...crow flew away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm proud of you, Roxie.

    If it makes you feel better I had to apologize to 3 different people this past week and a half for being a putz.
    Thankfully all 3 were gracious enough to accept.

    A sincere apology goes a long way when both given and accepted.
    We are all human afterall...mistakes and misunderstandings are going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since word got back to you, it may also show that your coworkers want you to succeed. It's great to have the opportunity to right a perceived wrong before it can fester and develop into something toxic to the work environment. Good job seizing the opportunity before you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a tough one. You never can tell how sensitive someone is. Good for you on acknowledging her feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice move - you did a good thing there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I've got a recipe for "crow-quettes" somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always feel better if I address an issue right away...tear off the bandaid so to speak. Good for you for handling the issue so well.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.