Monday, July 27, 2009

Sunday Cool Lessons

It never ceases to amaze me that some behaviors can sneak by undetected for such a long time. I really strive to stay "in the moment and present" at all times. No more mindless eating and nibbling. But judging by the way I was feeling by Sunday evening, I realized some old habits had paid a weekend visit.

First off, I think Sundays are just the very hardest days. Lucinda Williams has a song about "just can't make it through Sundays" and from my readings around the blogworld, I think a lot of other folks have that same problem. Sundays are tough for just about everyone. Don't know why that is, really.

But back to this weekend, Sandy came over(!) for an earlish dinner on Sunday. Eating time wasn't really announced and so I'd prepared some appetizers and we'd start the actual grilling when she'd arrived. And just like I'd done the day before prior to sitting down to dinner with Pebbles and New Boy, I'd ate too many appetizers - not that I realized it at the time it was happening. I just started grazing and had a difficult time stopping. Mindless eating. And this was before we even sat down to dinner.

During the week, this isn't an issue for a variety of reasons. Number one, we don't have appetizers and number two, there isn't really any lag time between when dinner is ready and when we sit down to eat. I start cooking in order to hit a target dinner time and when it's done, we sit down and we eat. And here is another thing I realized - during the week, I do the cooking and Bick does the cleaning up and he actually shoos me out of the kitchen. (The Engineer in him wants me no where near where dishwashers are being loaded.) No more snacking when cleaning up - a bad habit that I (later realized) had fallen into over the weekend, as he was visiting with guests and I shoo'd folks out of the kitchen so that I could clean up. Hmmm. I'd never even considered that our division of labor was a factor in successful weight management.

I'd never noticed these very small things that can add up. I surely do feel yuckaroo today. And I function much better with definite start and stop times to a meal. Even after all this time, I'm still learning new things. Now that I'm aware of this, I can take some practical steps to make it easier for me to make better decisions. I don't want to have to rely completely on willpower ALL the time.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Evaulate without judgment.

-Roxie

1 comment:

  1. COOL LESSON INDEED! I am so glad to hear I wasn't the only one that had a bad eating Sunday.

    If it can happen to a season pro, like yourself, I don't feel so bad that it happen to me!

    Here's to MINDFUL eating!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.