Thursday, July 9, 2009

What Motivates You?

I've been thinking quite a bit about motivation lately. I'm sort of in a "maintain" mode with my exercise. My eating had been clean and good, I'm sort of in "set it and forget it mode" which I am grateful for, but I don't have any real big goals in front of me enticing me to increase my intensity. And I'm okay with that. I don't think anyone can sustain a "balls to the wall" mode for a lifetime. Like with most things, it sort of ebbs and flows. I'd prefer my ebbs to be less and my flows to be more. I'm sort of just here in the moment, maintaining (sort of) my current level of fitness and awaiting inspiration and/or lightening to strike. I've set goals of participating in races - 5Ks, 5 milers, a ten-mile-without-stopping-run by myself, and a half-marathon walk/run. I've done that. I've got to find something to engage my mind before my ass will move. Right now, this blog and the blogging community are keeping my mind in the game.

And then I had this crazy thought about what motivates me - and travel is it. As I said in a comment on a blog recently, I tend to think of airline tickets as a unit of measure. For example, the yearly cost of cable television can be translated into airline tickets. Casually (or not) drop a hundred bucks, and that's a half to a fourth of a plane ticket to GO SOMEWHERE. Could I possibly combine my love of travel and my need to move?

Would it be weird to decide that I want to visit my favorite bloggers (whom I am friends with, if only in my head) as a reward when I've covered enough miles either by rowing or walking or running or biking or crab-crawling or line-dancing to reach their location? And this doesn't mean that I would come STAY with these people (you), I'd just come to visit your part of the country/world when I'd logged enough miles (and we'd have lunch!). Frequent Exerciser Miles Rewards Program - god, it needs a better title than that....

Hmmm. Something to ponder. And I'd need a tool to track miles.....Hmmm.


Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Keep your head in the game and your ass will follow.

-Roxie

150.5

15 comments:

  1. Personally, I think it's a great idea. When I travel, I often meet up with my blog buddies... and in the past I've also played host to my internet friends (even back from pre-blog days) from other nations (which is a really great experience).

    Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird? not at all it's a Wonderful idea!
    "Set it and forget it" ... I think I'm actually here with the eating phase of weight loss. Makes it more relaxing and stressfree.
    Roxie, I'm glad you're still blogging after your weight loss phase and showing us what successful weight maintenance can look like.

    Hope you're feeling back to normal health!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great idea. I wish I travelled more. The price of tickets always seems prohibitive. Maybe I'll do my own flyer miles program. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My balls haven't been to the wall for along time! Perhaps I should dust them off and put them there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, Anne's comment made me lol! too funny..dust them off..

    this my most favorite saying of yours.."keep your head in the gme and you ass will follow."

    I want in on this bloggy visit. Let's do lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being where you are at is my goal...I don't wanna do balls to the wall...obviously. :-)

    Love the motivational plan...not weird at all. I got to meet Cammy, from the Tippy Toe Diet (http://tippytoediet.com/) when she was on vacation, and I enjoyed it immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay - come to Scotland - you will love it!

    Being able to visit places is a big motivation factor for me too. Some of the countries I want to go to aren't suitable for the non-fit and I had written them off until recently - now all I need is the finance, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read your comment, go declutter something....

    Laughed my ass off. I cleaned the shit out of office.... Feel a ton better! If only in this minute!

    It's like you know me....lol

    Oh by the way, I can't compete with Scotland...how fun if we all went there.....I can dream.

    Mesa AZ in the winter is awesome though, and close...not as many units....lol

    my word verification is strays...weird...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not so enamored of travel right this very second. It took me two and one half hours to book a flight for Pebbles to come to PR for Christmas using the very last of my miles. It's done and she's excited, but what a frustrating experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and I would totally go to Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see the logic of this idea. Traveling rewards for reaching measurable fitness goals. And not just any travel but travel to meet other bloggers who have been positive influences during your fitness journey.

    You so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can come visit me! You are from around here anyway, so I'm sure you have lots of people to visit here too. I'd love it!

    I have trouble getting motivated too. Usually I get enthused when I've got an event or vacation coming and I know there will be tons of photos taken. So I want to be as thin as possible. But afterwards I lose motivation. Not that I get crazy and gain a lot of weight (not my style) but I never keep what I've lost over the long term. It's frustrating.

    So...if I knew you were coming to visit, I'd be motivated to get my lazy butt in gear! Come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this frequent ass movin' mile thing! It would be so fun to meet up with such good friends.

    You have the best ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, seeing as you already "came to visit" (but that was for a WORK thing) I hope you'd consider to come back this way. I so enjoyed OUR lunch whether you had "earned" enough miles or not.

    I say come again and we can meet in San Diego or the Temecula WINE country... that should get your motivation right on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello.....San Diego checking in. If it furthers your goals we can do a race or something out here.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.