Friday, August 21, 2009

Ode To A Pick-Up Truck


Introducing Malibu Ken. He's traditional, he's cute, he's mostly made of plastic.

He's the cause of my angst as of late. In late July, Bick made the gentle suggestion that perhaps it was a good time for me to buy a new car. Several incentive programs made the deal attractive, he said. He told me that Mitzi wouldn't last forever and if I was considering making another purchase in the next two years, now would be a good time.

All of this sent me into a near-panic - dealing with car dealers, taking on debt after just getting clear, trading in Big Red, could I even get financing? I told Bick I would have to approach this slowly. I needed a while to take it all in and make a decision.

So tomorrow, I deliver Big Red. I'm holding a wake tonight. Pebbles has said that after 20 years, it's like putting a family pet to sleep and she's right. That truck has done some wonderful things for me and for her. Her mega-watt smile came because her Momma didn't have to make a vehicle payment for the last 16 years so I could afford the 7k in orthodontia. Because I chose to drive that truck gently and tenderly for well over 300,000 miles, my daughter has a college education that was primarily cash and carry. Because that truck held together, I could eat while putting her through school. Because I chose to install a new engine for 2,500 dollars some years ago rather than buying a new or used car, I was able to crawl out from under a mountain of debt (until now, that is).

Malibu Ken will be my 5th ever car. My Aunt in WA is 72 years of age and she is thinking of trading in her 3rd ever car. How's that for stamina? We know how to hold on to vehicles in our family for sure. I think she's going to buy a new Camaro.



Over the last couple of weeks I discovered that I do have some money issues. I'm fabulous at saving and paying off billsand being thrifty and frugal. I was in that mode for so long that I've got that down pat. It was deciding to spend money that was the problem. Filling out a credit ap was one of the most stressful things I've done in a while. I'd been doing the ostrich thing about my credit score - not knowing really how the ExMrRoxie#2's post-divorce bankruptcy would affect my credit score. I didn't know if lenders would look kindly upon someone who once had 45K in credit card debt alone. Turns out, it was all okay. And I do realize that mine are nice problems to have. But it was time to face all of this head-on. So I learned a few things along the way and by noon tomorrow, it will all be over. Except for selling Mitzi - and there's a line of folks who want to buy her.

Exercise and food have been good this week. I've got a must-do luncheon today, so the gym is out, and then tomorrow bright and early is the car swap (all the negotiating etc is completed, it's just a matter of delivering, signing and driving Malibu Ken back home). I'll do my best to work in some exercise on Saturday. Right now, I'm off to start the day with some YOGA. Yay me.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Know your worth.

-Roxie
154

11 comments:

  1. Farewell to Mitzi - we barely knew ye!

    Come on Barbie, let's go party! Yoga party, that is.
    Yay, you, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! A new car beats the hell out of a bike any day!

    Bye bye Mitz, it's out to pasture for you.

    Enjoy the car amd the yoga. Way to face your fear head on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bye Mitzi, old doll!
    I think this Malibu Ken will have more going on under the hood than his doll counterpart ...
    He's nice looking.
    I hope you two have a long satisfying relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vaya con dios, Mitzi, you were a good truck.

    Buying a car was similarly traumatic for me, but having a new car has bought me back so much mental real estate. I still get a little thrill when I drive somewhere on a hot day and don't spend the entire drive staring down the temp gauge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, Malibu Ken is a cutie! Loved your ode to Mitzi - she served you well!

    A few weeks ago we finally bit the bullet and traded in our '94 Explorer (that the A/C and heat died in 2 years ago) - we did the cash for clunkers and it was hard to know that it would be destroyed, but the trade-in was too good to pass up. My husband is now happily driving a Ford Focus that he calls "My Little Car" - strange name, but whatever!

    Enjoy Malibu Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After 300k miles, that big ol' truck doesn't owe you a dime! You're gonna love cruising around in Malibu Ken. You'll just have to get used to sitting down a little closer to the road. And not stopping at gas stations as frequently :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing like a tried and true truck :D Five years ago I sold my "li'l Suzi" and she had well over 100,000 miles of love on her. I still miss being able to cart plants and crap around without a care.

    I hope you and Malibu Ken will be very happy. Buying a car to me is as stressful as going to the dentist, lol. Way to go on getting it done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a Malibu for 7 years or so, and I loved it! I hope you enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your blog on Google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roxie - just found your blog. I want to you someday and lose 100 pounds and maintain it. Key on the maintain it since I've lost it before but never maintain.

    Wow on the car! I've never known anyone to be able to drive a vehicle for 300,000 miles. Amazing!

    I hope you enjoy that new vehicle and I hope it lasts 300,000 miles too. :)

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.