Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Teflon Tuesday



My life as a dancer was short-lived. I suffered a career-ending brain injury about thirty minutes into the class. I hurt my brain trying to remember the dance routines. I found myself getting really irritated at the instructor, who with 16 years of dance experience, had little or no experience teaching old novices. I was getting more and more steamed, as there was no sweat and no cardio in the promised Cardio-Dance class. And we get to learn a NEW routine next week. And then I realized that I needed to reframe this.

Why was I taking this so personally? This young woman didn't get up this morning with the idea in her head to piss me off. It wasn't anything directed at me. It was time to don some teflon and just let things and my judgments flow right off of me. A better way to reframe this would be that I had some needs that this class didn't meet. I don't have to go back. It's not worth getting pissed over. It wasn't done to ME - I just happened to be there when it happend. Grab the Teflon and let minor irritations flow off of me. Life is too short to get irked by small stuff.

I logged today's dance class as .5 miles on the frequently tired program

There won't be an opportunity for exercise tonight as I've got a boatload of okra to put up. Plus, I've got to make a tiramisu for Bick's company potluck luncheon tomorrow. Hmm - wonder how I'll keep from licking the spoon on that one? I think I'll have an early dinner and then assemble the dessert.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Don't take things too personally.

-Roxie

5 comments:

  1. My dear mother would have called this "moxie," Roxie!
    Teflon and it's outta here!
    Good job not sweatin' da small stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think I had to like everything I tried and that if I didn't there was something wrong with me.

    You mean the world doesn't revolve around me, Roxie?
    Damn.

    Loved the getting off the couch post earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is some seriously great advice that I need to start remembering DAILY. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first paragraph made me laugh...about the brain injury.

    And good advice about not taking stuff like that personally. I tend to do that with strangers too.

    It's been so long since I've had a chance to comment on your blog, but I have been reading all along. I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading about your trip to Washington. I felt as if I were there ...oh, I guess I was. :D

    Yes, next time you come here, I'd love for us to get together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about dance lessons lyself - ballroom, or salsa (or maybe belly dancing...). Given my amazing co-ordination - no really, it is amazing... (amazing I can walk and talk at the same time, that is!) I have a feeling I might end up feeling the same way about it as you do. But then I've been thinking about it for months if not years without trying it out - at least you know what you think!
    I think you're probably right about her not being out to get you specifically though ;-)

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.