Saturday, September 12, 2009

I Know This Much Is True


This is a back-to-basics post and it's mostly for me to reiterate what I know to be true for me. If I do these things in approximately the order given, I'll stay in a healthier and happier place. It's a positive list, full of things that I can do versus a bunch of "don'ts". I rebel against the don'ts. I firmly believe in that whole mind-body connection and that I have to keep all things in balance. So here's my list:

1. Practice loving kindness towards myself. Constantly berating myself never did a damn thing to make my ass any smaller or make me any happier.
2. Spend time daily meditating/deep breathing/getting centered. This makes dealing with all the other crap much easier. As Cammy said "be where you butt is".
3. The first rule of food: Eat clean. I'll worry about quantities later. I will not deprive, I will not starve. I will eat real, whole and identifiable foods. No junk, no trashy carbs. Good food and enough of it. If I worry about the "what I eat", the "how much I eat" will pretty much take care of itself.
4. Exercise is one of the nicest, most loving gifts that I can give myself. It is not punishment and I will not use it upon myself as such. I cannot overcome a bad diet with exercise. It may hold it at bay for a bit, but it is not sustainable. Exercise is necessary for many reasons, but not as a punishment for any eating behavior.
5. Progress, not perfection.


There's really not much more to it than that. If I follow the above tenets consistently, then I stay in a better space, both literally and figuratively. Spent a good, long time in the gym this morning. It was lovely.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Be consistent.

-Roxie
152.5

Pic: Kinsale Harbor, Ireland Dec 08.

7 comments:

  1. #3 works so well for me - I eat healthy food, I'm not starving, and I still lose. Who knew you could do that?!?

    Love all five, actually. Need to practice the first one, especially.

    Hope you are having a good weekend - we are soaked in Central Tx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great post, very positive and active in achieving and maintaining that positivity. I try for 1, 3, 4, and 5 myself, but really have no clue how to start with number 2. I can absolutely see the benefit of being able to do that, but I've never managed it. How do you learn to meditate anyway? My brain just spirals off into mindless drivel if I try to clear my focus. Maybe I'm just not mentally / emotionally mature enough...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your list. Just eating the good for you foods is some of the best advice you have given me. The rest really does take care of it's self.

    Where is the picture from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a reason we keep returning to the basics: that's what works.

    It always has and it always will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, I first learned to meditate (and I am BAD at it) by taking a class offered by a local university's continuing education department. I was looking for ways to calm myself when I was quitting smoking. Since then I've read some books and used Youtube to get some guided meditations. Guided meditations are still my favorites.

    Oh, my brain wanders off like crazy, but then you just sorta say "Oh, wow, I wandered off. I shall refocus now". And get back to focusing. I know that I do that a bazillion times during a session. It's just like with yoga, you don't have to be "good" at it to do it and reap the benefits. I just need to remember to do it.

    The picture was one I took while on holiday in Ireland in December of 2008. It's a shot of the Kinsale Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, self-afirming post. Thanks, Roxie.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.