Saturday, September 19, 2009

Saturday Morning Sitdown

Saturday mornings are when I sit down to plan our meals for the week and try to cobble together a shopping list. Or should I say shopping lists? Since I'm now a Costco convert, I usually have to make a trip by there for a bit of this or that. Oh hell, that's wrong. I go to Costco if I need a metric ton of stuff. I go to the regular grocery store if I need a bit of this or that. So there's two stores to stop by, plus there is always a Home Depot run. Always. I don't know what we need from the big orange store, but I know that we will darken the doors sometime again this weekend. This week's errands also includes a swing by a craft store or health food store to see if I can find some lavender essential oils. I want to try to make some bath salts.

While in Seattle (jeez, was it only last month?), Bick bought me some wonderful, relaxing bath salts at the neighboring Whole Foods Market. And since we've been home, he's used up all of it. I'd like to try my hand at making my own - using my own herbs and such.

So now my errand list is up to four stops. Plus brussels sprouts; plus time at the gym. Oh, one other stop. I've found a place to buy farm fresh eggs here locally! YAY!

I heard from Pebbles and Slater yesterday as they were wandering around Central Park. I'm assuming they weren't lost. Long-time sufferers will remember my travels in Italy with Pebbles - she's content just to wander around until she stumbles upon something. No maps, no directions, no plan. Drove me flat dab crazy. I'm assuming now since she and Slater are both googlyphone empowered that they were in the park because that's where they wanted to be. They had toured MOMA in the morning and were headed off to The Whitney, after lunch at Carnegie Deli. (Ben Ash is right across the street and has AMAZING chicken liver sandwich.) But would she listen to her mother? NO! She's doesn't share her Momma's secret desire to be Jewish and eat chopped liver. Speaking of chopped liver, here's this week's meal plan:

Saturday - Pan sauteed fish - whatever fish looks good and fresh accompanied by whatever out-of-the-ordinary veg I stumble across.

Sunday - Creamy southwest chicken with cauliflower

Monday - Pork chops and cooked cabbage

Tuesday - Feta stuffed chicken breast with peppers

Wednesday - Easy Thai Coconut Curry chicken with green beans

Thursday - Korean meatballs with asparagus

Friday - every man for hisownself - I've got my meeting in town.

It's one more cup of coffee, some yoga time and then it's off to the gym. Let's get this party started.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Make your list and check it twice.

-Roxie
154

11 comments:

  1. Your menu looks great, I will be arriving about suppertime tomorrow ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have the greatest looking menus.
    Have a great weekend and don't drop too much coin at Costco.

    lol @ Bick using up the bath salts that he bought for YOU. funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a busy day! I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on making the bath salts - that sounds very intriguing!
    Your food plan for the week does sound great, I have to ask what makes the meatballs Korean? I might have to try stuffing chicken breasts with feta, I'm crazy about that stuff right now.
    Enjoy your Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do that as well - two grocery shopping lists...one for the regular store and one for Sam's. Your meals sound wonderful!

    Have a good day and hope the brussel sprout planting goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun shopping. I always say I don't like shopping, then once I get there, it's an adventure, lol.

    I would love to have your recipe for the creamy sw chicken and cauliflower. It sounds yummy.

    Bath salts are very easy to make. Just google it and you'll get lots of recipes. I made some one year and put in little glass bottles for everyone at work. They were a real hit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm officially exhausted looking at your to-do list. Sounds like mine! And I haven't moved off the couch yet.

    Love your menu ideas.

    And Bick used all the bath salts. LOL. Too funny!

    Btw - I'm stealing your idea of posting your weight after your name at the end of your blog. Makes it just a statement of fact and not a big deal. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course, I meant "posting MY weight" not YOUR weight ... at the end of my posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your menu is so "worldly" and also sounds so delish. Well, all of it but the cauliflower... hee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just going to copy your menu. Makes it so much easier than coming up with ones own. You going to publish every Saturday?

    For your fish (next time) I like a dish by Elie Krieger. Filets of your choice, then make a "sauce" with chopped tomatoes, spinach, kalamata olives, capers and onions. Very good and very smart eating friendly. I usually end up serving the veggie mix over rice.
    We usually use tilapia, but salmon would be an excellent choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris, I'm think it's the sauce that makes it Korean. I was just poking around a low-carb website and found the recipe. And I forgot to buy ground beef yesterday, so I'm going to use the sauce with some beef shortribs. So the menu is changing, yet again!

    Tena - the southwest chicken is from a low-carb site as well. I'd include the link, but I've forgotten my basic HTML skills!

    LOL at Diana - the new trend - posting my weight on everyone's site! Hee

    Brian - I'll try to remember to post a menu on Saturday. I love the sound of your fish dish, but Bick balks like a rented mule at olives and capers. I can't even SNEAK them in. The NOSE knows.

    Hmm, I haven't had any luck with tillapia. Maybe I'll give it another go.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.