Friday, November 20, 2009

Baked Eyeglasses

I chose to spend part of last Saturday with Pebbles, so I didn't get my cake baking done. I woke up early on Thursday morning and went ahead and fixed the split-pea soup we were going to have for dinner in the morning so I would have my evening free for baking. So last night I was baking the cake for my neighbor's church youth fund raiser. I mixed it up and put it in the preheated oven.

I went on about my business, tidying up the kitchen and went on to review the recipe for marshmallow fondant to make sure I got the supplies necessary for Saturday's decorating. Except I can't find my read the recipe. I pat down my chest (my version of the self-breast exam for the old and near-sighted) looking for my glasses. I tend to tuck them into my cleavage. I cannot find my glasses. Luckily, a bell goes off inside my head and I recall hearing a sound when placing my cakes in the oven. Yep, there they were - my kitchen glasses - a cheap set of readers right there on the oven rack, just beginning to look like a Salvador Dali painting. I'm nothing if not avant-gard.

The thing I loved about yesterday was a surprise breakfast with Pebbles. She was driving through my work town about the same time I was heading in from Reata North. It was a treat to get to visit with her for a half an hour or so as she was making her way out to view her bank project out West.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Keep you eye on the prize.

-Roxie

8 comments:

  1. Oh no! At least you got them before they completely stuck and burned in your oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to multi-task - baking a cake and creating a piece of art at the same time! (Glad they were the cheap readers!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is terrible! I'm glad you got them out! We have a kids book where they bake the glasses in a cake and my kids love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breast self exam. I am smiling at the visual.


    I don't feel so bad now about my forgetfulness. Though I have done some pretty absent minded stuff. Just nothing I can post here...lol

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! At lteast they didn't end up in the cakes.

    I'm still missing a set of keys ... I don't think I baked them though. Maybe I should look in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are hilarious! And these comments are, too. Are you going to take a picture of your cake? And your new artwork?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious post and I agree with Tena ... the comments are too.
    Thank gawd they were the cheapos.
    Hope they didn't melt to your rack. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was funny! I have reading glasses in every corner of my house, car, and my classroom!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.