Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Soft Kitty

Yesterday started off with a BANG. More of a thud, actually. I got a morning visit from a VP. Never a good thing. The issue wasn't mine, but someone else in the organization sure tried to paint it that way. It all turned out okay, but boy did it ratchet me up in a BIG way. I worked though lunch, so no exercise, which was a mistake. So today, I will do things differently and I'm off to a much better start.

Following Dana's lead from yesterday, I'm setting my intention today to remain cool, calm and collected come what may. I will also go to yoga at lunch. Yes, I do have an enormous amount of work to get accomplished between now and year-end, but scrimping on self-care will NOT get me where I need to be.

I've fallen into a habit of reading email, blogs, etc very first thing in the morning at the expense of yoga and meditation. That stops now. Or rather, it stopped this morning. I got up and I got centered. First things first. Email isn't an emergency.

The thing I loved about yesterday was Bick. I'm sure he's tired of dealing with me and my problems, but he's not showing it. He was incredibly supportive last night during dinner prep. Our routine is to hang out in the kitchen and talk while I'm fixing dinner (he'll jump in and assist if necessary). Last night, we did just that, talking and prepping dinner until time for The Big Bang. We don't watch a lot of tv, but this show is my favorite, so I do make sure I can watch it. Oh, and I did secure a promise from Bick to sing me "Soft Kitty" next time I'm sick. Almost makes me wish for more sniffles!

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Self-care is not selfish.

-Roxie

11 comments:

  1. Bick sounds to me like the kind of guy who'll be there for the long haul.
    I have friends who love Big Bang though I have not watched. Will eventually try it.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As my computer is in my bedroom, I, too, am in the habit of going straight to it when I wake up. I love your idea of getting centered before anything else - sounds like a much better way to start off on the right foot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh - Do 'Soft Kitty' as a round, record it and post it here. I have an unnatural love for that stupid show. Unfortunately, I think it's from identifying with some of the male characters (Leonard, mostly)

    Priorities are a good thing, even if they cramp your style for a bit. Life will adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Brian, I think that's part of the reason I can relate. I'm a bit nerdly and Bick, well, Bick is an engineer. It hits pretty darn close to home :-)

    Hmmm, recording it as a round? What a marvelous idea! Maybe while we are in Puerto Rico - right after the Bacardi tour :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sounds of your dinner routine. It's good bonding time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please please please sing it in a round and record it!

    P.S. I can identify with the show too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reminder to put the truly important things first! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you had to get razzed this morning. Not a fun way to start the day. Best of luck with getting your mornings started productively.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yoga is good and centering. Good on you standing up for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ouch! I'm reading your blog when I should be on the treadmill; thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad the work thing worked out. I love the Big Bang, but never remember to watch it. I'll have to catch the re-runs.

    I feel like I live under a rock - I don't know "Soft Kitty". I guess I'll be googling it...if you aren't willing to sing it!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.