Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Visions and Values: Thinking About A Life

Picture the Flux-Capacitor. I've spent the past couple of days trying to put words, descriptors to the life I want for myself. Defining and refining my goals. I'm taking some time to make sure that my goals mix well together - that they are authentic. I think it's important to articulate what you want and how you want to be. I think having that vision for oneself allows one to take advantage of the opportunities that are presented. And yes, there are health and fitness goals in there, but life involves much more than a number on a scale. There are spiritual, relationship, physical surroundings and financial elements in the mix as well.

It's that mix of things that must be in balance, that must all groove with a guiding set of principles. My life principles are simple, at least I want them to be. I function much better when there are fewer things to worry about. As a generalized anxiety sufferer, the fewer things there are to worry about, well, the fewer things there are to worry about. It's making sure that everything is moving in the same direction that's important.

Take the frugality versus health decision. Traditionally, this has been a tough decision for me. I'm frugal by nature - or let me say - I want an appropriate value for my money. I hate waste. That being said, I know that clutter isn't good for me. It makes me antsy and robs me of peacefulness. So it comes that I can't indulge my love for table linens and dishes, for example, because really that just increases my unease in the long-term. But it sure is fun in the short-term.

I'm not making my point very well this morning. Basically, I just want to make sure that the actions I'm taking are consistent with my views and long-term goals. That my goals and actions are not in conflict with one another.

The thing I loved about yesterday
is beginning to sound like a broken record. The weather here is just spectacular. Really wonderful. Just being outside as much as possible, whenever possible is such a soul-comforting activity. Being outside does wonderful things for my insides.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Define your vision.

-Roxie
151.5

ETA: Thought for the day : Progress has little to do with speed, but much to do with direction.

10 comments:

  1. I gotta do some vision maintaining!
    Good idea.
    I'm on the right path -- I don't have any fancy table linens and if I need them, I'll borrow them temporarily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made your point quite eloquently.
    This is an excellent post, Roxie. Your insights are always timely for me and always hit me in the heart.

    your ETA is something I needed to hear this morning. Well, this entire post was actually.
    Things are out of whack over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love 'thinking out loud' posts like this!

    It takes time to comes to terms with stuff and the best way to do it is to muddle through :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your last quote.

    I so hear you on the anxiety thing. You give me lots to think over here. Thank you for the 'feed'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been at a dead run all day. This was the 1st thing I read this morning. I thought about it all day.

    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  6. define your vision, awesome, that way you don't head in the wrong direction inadvertently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, while it is OK to concentrate on one thing for a short while to get it going, you are right, our whole lives need attention too.

    Your thought-provoking post comes at a time when I am trying to get it all together and it is hard, but I know it is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm feelin' ya Roxie! :) I don't spend near enough time just thinking about my future goals , where i want to be in life and where i see my life going. Thanks for the insights. JInx!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roxie, defining and refining goals are very important. You are doing a great job! Keep up the good work!
    I constantly am defining and refining my goals as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ETA: Thought for the day : Progress has little to do with speed, but much to do with direction.
    WOW! I love this quote, I am going to put it up on my facebook page, hope you don't mind.
    Emmett

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.