Friday, January 22, 2010

Adventures In Busriding

Whew! I cut it close this morning. I walked up the steps to the elevated street and right on the bus this morning. Okay, so time to move the out-the-door time to 7:43. 7:45 is cutting it just too close. Had an interesting interaction this morning as I was walking into the building at work. I arrived, but from another direction, just in time to hold the door open to the shuttle-bus-from-the-parking-lot riders. One woman asked me "Where do you park?" and I said "I ride the bus to work". She looked rather stunned and didn't say a word. Public transportation in this town is so not mainstream.

Got in some more gymtime last night. Just an hour walking on the treadmill. I had talked myself out of walking to the store, as I had enough leftovers to get me through last night and lunch today, but I was getting a bit maudlin, so it was time to get the hell out of the house, see other people and practice a little distraction. There are usually more people in the gym in the evenings. Plus, I watched some cable, which was nice.

Different topic: Set Point. Us longtime dieting folks have heard of this concept and if my experience is true, I do believe such a thing exists and do believe I am at it. Right in the low 150s is where my body just seems to want to be - at this level of exercise. I'm not complaining - I just find it interesting. It will be interesting to see how the increased walking changes this or if it does. Either way, I'm fine with it. Anyone else have experience with this? Do you have a set point?

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Shake things up.

-Roxie
152

3 comments:

  1. I believe in a setpoint though I've yet to find out what mine is. Too many years of strict dieting and crazy exercise. This is the first time in my life that I'm being forced to take it easy and develop a lifestyle. I guess you'd say one of my goals is to find my setpoint.

    Public transportation where I live is lousy - it's there but not at all convenient. For me to get from where I live to where I work (14 miles) it would take 3 hours or so. I would do it if I had to but thankfully I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just... Just 60 minutes you say! Hmmph... that's great!
    :)
    Setpoint is something that all my nutritionalists mention over and over again. Your body does adjust and establishes a setpoint. It can be moved but it takes work. Our bodies adapt really quickly to what we are doing and change is so very important - but good changes. I did too much Yo-yoing in the past and now have to get it right, one day at a time.

    I do public transportation all the time right now. I don't have a vehicle and so take the bus to our train, and take the train downtown. It saves on parking charges, gas and sometimes it can save on time. I do a LOT of walking and it's good for me.
    Have a great weekend Roxie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe I've been at mine the last 2 years. Supposedly strength training can reset it.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.