Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Getting On With It

Feeling much better, a bit more centered. I had a great workout this morning on the elliptical. I did pass the time reading one of the many books that lovely, thoughtful and generous Graciela sent me. That's one way to declutter - pass your stuff on to someone else :-) I chose to read Playing For Pizza by John Grisham as it takes place in Parma. Parma is where the exbubba's family is from and is near where Pebbles spent her first summer abroad in Reggio Emilia living in a converted nunnery. The book is a wonderful fluffy romp through the food and traditions of that region on Italy. Fun and yummy. Grazie Graciela.

I had a lovely time last night at the residents' wine tasting event. Actually, it wasn't so much a wine tasting as just a gathering in a wine bar, but it was nice. I screwed up my courage and introduced myself around, asked to join tables and did meet some more nice people. I had a couple of glasses of wine, a nibble of cheese and a dose of dark chocolate and called it a night. It was lovely to then just walk home.

And speaking of places to walk to, I didn't talk about my first foray to the restaurant across the street that preceeded the whole dog disaster. Pebbles was very familiar with the Dallas location and said we must try the appetizers(trio of fries with homemade ketchup and mayo-thingy), the mac and cheese and the desserts (the tableside smores - OMG)! It doesn't take Einstein to see where the recent bump in weight came from! But oh, was it yummy! Oh, and instead of a bread basket, they start you off with popcorn drizzled with truffle oil and warm peanuts.

So I'll just immediately return to taking good actions - packing my lunch and breakfast, getting in my exercise and letting the scale be what it will be. If I get in a deprivation mind-set, then I tend to go off rails. Maintenance for me happens within a few-pound range. I'm content to stay right here for the time being. I'm hoping that the increased activity of living at The Closet will nudge the scale downward, but if it doesn't, well, it doesn't.

Tonight is my mani and pedi, with a hair color appointment following on Thursday night.

The thing I loved most about yesterday was getting myself out of The Closet and into a social situation. Being social hasn't been a part of my past, but that doesn't mean it can't be a part of my future.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Step out of your comfort zone once in a while.

-Roxie
153

6 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed yourself last night. Very nice to meet new people, close to home especially. Makes you feel a part of the community a bit more I think.

    You resturaunt appies sound so delish but oh so not good for the hips :)

    Stepping outside of ones comfort zone is not an easy task! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Playing for Pizza and remember drooling over all of the food descriptions...

    I'm proud of you for getting out there with the wine event! That really takes some courage to introduce yourself to people (I have a hard time doing it).

    btw, your Jitterbug comment made me giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you really found a balanced approach to life. I love that you find time for pampering yourself too. I love getting pedicures-I ruin manicures within minutes, I'm too impatient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roxie, this teeny little post has a great big sentence:

    "Being social hasn't been a part of my past, but that doesn't mean it can't be a part of my future."

    Holy pow Batman! Fill in the blank: Just because ________________hasn't been part of my past that doesn't mean it can't be part of my future.

    The possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was once in Reggio Emilia and stayed at the Park Hotel. I have photos of chickens that I took outside the window. I have not read any Grisham but have read many good books on and about Italy.

    Good that you got out to be social. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a great day! I find things like the wine tasting really stressful to contemplate, but I can imagine it being lots of fun once you got there.
    Having that restaurant just across the street would be a major test of my self control! It sounds wonderful. Were the portions huge as well? I remember being amazed at the portion sizes when I ate out in Dallas all those years ago!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.