Monday, January 18, 2010

Making Room for Happiness

Today is the perfect day to focus on the things that make me happy. For the record, I was just sad yesterday and don't feel so great today, but it is certainly not the end of the world. I'm not upset or wailing or gnashing my teeth. I'm just experiencing some expected and appropriate grief, with a little g even. I'm really doing very well. So well, in fact, that I am certain that am doing the right things.

But I do believe what we choose to think about and how long we choose to think about it effects how happy we are. So after a little serenity prayering with "things I cannot change", I'm here today to make it a good day - starting off, thanks to fellow journeyers Anne H and Sandy, with a task of making a list (and being grateful for) the things that make me happy.

1. Obviously. Pebbles. I love her and I also like her a whole bunch (most of the time).
2. My Sister. Honestly, the funniest person I know. It appears we are going to survive "the troubles" okay. I'm in absolute heaven if I can get Pebbles and The Sister in the same room at the same time. Both hilarity and hijinx ensue.

The rest are in random order:

3. Warm, sunny January mornings - perfect for getting outside to walk around. I plan to take advantage of it today.

4. My boss. Superb human.

5. The Closet. I look around here and I love this little place.

6. Good coffee first thing in the morning. Those first few sips just might be my favorite part of every day.

7. Friendships. I'm new to this one. For a variety of reasons, I've been pretty isolated most of my life. So developing friendships, both in real life and online has been such a happiness builder.

8. Fine bed linens. I only allow myself one set at a time (I could go CRAZY) but I love the feeling of snuggling into some Tuesday Morning-purchased ridiculously high thread count sheets.

9. Yoga and Meditation: Learning so self-soothe and comfort and release anxiety from my life makes me happy.

10. Being creative. I don't always do this, but right now I'm getting an "urge". I've been looking to purchase an interesting rug for the kitchen floor, but I just haven't found what I like. I think it needs a funked-out penny rug and I think I'm going to make it myself.

11. Removing shame from my life to make room for happiness. After living a shame-based life, getting out from under it allows happiness to sneak in from a variety of areas.


I'm following Anne H's lead and passing this to everyone. Even if you choose not to post it, spend some time today reflecting on happiness.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Make room for happiness in your life.

-Roxie
152

8 comments:

  1. Great list...I go up and down on my creative side but never regret it when I make something. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your rug!

    Have a wonderful day...enjoy the SUN and warmer weather!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a creative bone in my body - I buy other people's creations! I wish I'd thought of coffee and high thread count sheets for my list. Good ones. It's the little things sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes when I'm actually experiencing my own gratitude, it comes down to the seconds & things right in front of my face.

    My sister is high on my list as well. Along with a great cup of coffee.
    I loved your list and relate to your grief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shame sucks so hard!
    And yes - a little happiness sneaks in, so hopefully, the real healing can take hold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to the coffee; it's the first thing I reach for in the mornings. There is something about that first cup--can't be duplicated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love #11 the best. Shame. Getting out from under it. Me too. I think it goes back to my mom, whom I adored and loved more than life itself, would sometimes tell me when I was bad, that I should be ashamed of myself.

    Funny how things like that stick with a person. I know she didn't know what damage that did to me, that and the Baptist Church I grew up in. :)

    I work hard to get out from under the shame too, but it is really hard work.

    It sounds like your sadness is just a delayed reaction to the changes you've made. Letting go of the past, even if it was a difficult past, is always hard.

    I love that The Closet makes you so happy. It's so important for your surroundings to make you feel comfortable...and happy. :)

    Now go enjoy what's left of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that you are choosing your thoughts--that you don't feel that your thoughts are choosing you, that you have control over what you think and that you are responsible for your happiness by choosing thoughts that make you happy. I try to do that too but not always successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive always wanted FIIINE bed linens.
    somthing, anything with a thread count.
    (alas they make nothing with a read threadcount at Walmart. YET :))

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.