Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Thousand Tiny Pieces

We were gone a little over an hour. We walked, quite literally, across the street and into a restaurant to have a couple of appetizers and split a dessert. By the time we returned, The Grand Beast had destroyed an amazing amount of stuff. My apartment looked like it had been ransacked. I'm still in shock, I think. No one expected it, although perhaps we should have. He'd been here with some or all of us for hours, had gone outside a couple of times, including a long walk in the park.

Here's a list of what he destroyed:

My leather briefcase
the contents of leather briefcase, including the box, receipt, and part of the USB modem that I was planning on returning for my money back tomorrow, after my cable/internet bundle is installed tomorrow

My new crossword puzzle book

My backpack and some paperwork that was in it

A new blanket I just purchased yesterday - he got it out of the bag and shredded it

My favorite shoes (just one) that just had reworked at the cobbler's

In chewing the aforementioned, just refurbished shoes (black) black shoe polish now covers a good deal of my carpet and I'm too wound up to go purchase some Resolve to see if that will work to remove it

For the briefcase and the shoe, he went into the closet to retrieve (there is no door).

The backpack and the blanket were on my bed.

The crossword puzzle book was on a side-table.

If we'd ordered an entree, no telling what would have destroyed. Puppysitting while they're on a ski trip? No way in hell.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my god. I am so sorry, Roxie...what an awful thing to walk in to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Roxie, I'm sick to stomach just reading this. What a terrible thing! I'm so sorry you have to deal with that mess. Dogs...you just never know what they'll do next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't even imagine how upset I'd be if that had happened to me.

    TGB is indeed the GRAND BEAST, what an appropriate name! I guess being in a relatively new place with nothing to do and still being a puppy just got the best of him.

    He's so cute in his pictures, who would have ever guessed he could be such a master of destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG....
    um, I am assuming you'll be asking them for some restitution.
    just sayin'
    IF that were children, it wouldn't even be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh oh. It sounds like he has abandonment issues, or separation anxiety. Which I guess is quite common in dogs, it just manifests itself in different ways. Buster goes and hides in the back bedroom, but at least he's not destructive.

    Whatever, I would be very upset. You definitely do not need this type of stress in your life. ((Big Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you lost your things! I would have been horrified to walk into that! But i do have a positive note!!!!!!!!!

    You could have already agreed to puppysit......and pebbles could already be on her way to go skiiing and you would be stuck till she got back! Breathe Roxie, breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I hate that this happened to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry this happened. The dog must have had an acute anxiety episode being in a new-ish place. Thank God you weren't gone longer. I'm with Chris - a leather briefcase, backpack and all the other stuff add up to some major bucks. Thank goodness you found this out before they left him with you for many days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! Do you have a crate for this dog?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not a city dog, eh? Sorry to hear he chewed up so many things, but at least they are only 'things'.

    Maybe Bick will pinch hit for the puppy sitting?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, that really sucks. For such a large dog, guess he knows how to make a really large mess.
    Really sorry to read this happening to you and your new place.
    I'm with Jinxx.... breathe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! You are kidding me. I'm sorry to laugh at your misfortune but I have a mental image of your face when you walked in the door.

    Bad dog! LOL

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.