Friday, February 19, 2010

Chumming for Sharks

This morning got off to an interesting start. I went to the gym this morning with the intention to run a bit - I'm looking to Saturday for a longer run - and about a mile and a half in, I was hit by a wave of nausea. Not a fun way to start the day.

I fled the treadmill and the workout room and headed for the nearest restroom, down a blind side hallway by the elevator. I went in, fumbled for the light, locked the door and waited to see what would happen. Whatever it was that caused the sudden wave, didn't reappear again, but I decided I was done for the morning. Except I couldn't leave the bathroom! I don't know if this restroom had ever been used or locked, but it took me several tries and some sheer panic to get myself out of the loo! I've got to start taking my phone with me - it could have been hours before I managed to get anyone's attention had I failed to open the door! Whew!

And now here at work, that person whom I find very irritating, that I must work with, who I would really like to throttle right now, has been calling me about something about every fifteen minutes since the crack of when-I-got-here. I really need to get a handle on my reactions because I'll not survive nearly six months of elbow-to-elbow work with her. I've got to figure out a way to fix me that doesn't involve Ore-creamcheese-truffle thingies that someone brought to work for a birthday party. A part of me wants to dive right in, but right now, the part that knows that I have no brakes, knows that I cannot eat just one. It would be like chumming for sharks! So I'm off to the gym here in a bit to get some of this tension worked out, otherwise this Roxie will be spitting gravel!

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Work with your weaknesses.

-Roxie
154

11 comments:

  1. I love this image of chumming for sharks! For an extra deterrent, just think of the smell that accompanies chum!

    It's CAKE day here. . . so I'll be applying your metaphor in spades!

    I know how you feel about the food = stress reduction. . .yesterday just a series of e-mails produced such hi anxiety for me that Chik Fil A seemed to be luring me in . . . I held tight and ate my cabbage roll casserole. . . and felt TOTALLY self righteous after!

    (Um . . . could you arrange to lock that coworker in teh gym bathroom? . . . .I mean just for a bit. . .really. . . a bit is all I'm advising. . . )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's freaky about the nausea - hope you aren't allergic to running!

    Seriously, I do hope you're ok. Weird about the restroom...I would have started to panic!

    Don't let your co-worker's crazy rub off on you. Ore-whatevers are never the solution...mmm, tasty, tasty solution. Sorry, I had a Homer Simpson moment.

    Have a great day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pukey day all the way around so far, eh? Hope you get to work off some of that frustration and the nausea stays away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog. It's wonderful! Congrats on maintaining a 100 lb weight loss...so inspirational. Sorry to hear about the irritation-causing co-worker...but you already know what to do. Work out the tension in your workout! Hope you feel better. Thanks again for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay that getting stuck in the loo really made me laugh. Sorry that happened to you, but I sure enjoyed it.

    Oh just choke her and get it over with. Or better yet, tell her to go to the bathroom.

    If I start resenting someone I have to pray for them to get every good thing they might need or serve them without them noticing. Like that nutcase boss of mine that exploded on me. Talk about RESENTMENT! Now I have decided to help her out around her house when she's not looking.

    I don't know if she notices, but I feel better. Amazing how that resentment fades.

    P.S. it's not morning sickness, is it....LMAO. I couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is no bun in the oven for a variety of reasons - 1. There is no Baker Man and 2. I had my oven removed about 12 years ago! Perish the thought!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was really funny. Well, not so much the scared out of your wits in the loo, or the nausea, or the ore-cream cheese-truffle things. But the way you handled it. Hope you get your long run in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sucks your day started out that way and having to deal with irritant to boot!
    Glad you got to the gym later to work some of that frustration off. I'm so busy here at work I can't catch up on everyone's blogs. I hope to do that this weekend.

    Have a great weekend Roxie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH, I've had those loo like moments. Glad you got out.

    Try thinking of something else when the irritating coworker is being irritating. Maybe envisioning a bird on her head or something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, working with weaknesses. That is what I will refer to my coworkers as from now on. Weaknesses.

    I get morning nausea occasionally and once for an entire year and think it was stress related. Or that was my excuse.

    I also suffer from what I call "door anxiety." Especially in foreign countries. Italy nearly killed me. I panic if I can't get out. It's always a damn bathroom too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. BTW, thank you for your wonderful comment on my post. Wonderful comment!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.