Tuesday, March 16, 2010

False Alarm

This is getting to be annoying. Last night, just as I was getting ready to go to bed, the fire alarm went off and off and off. This has happened about six times since I moved into The Closet. Normally, other than that time I smelled smoke, they go off after a couple of cycles. Last night, however, it kept going on forever. When I heard the fire department pull in, I finally gave up and marshalled MalibuKen out of the parking garage and headed over to Target to kill some time. Because nothing screams classy like trolling through Target at 10:00 in your pjs. I bought a sleep mask and some spray starch. Wonder what the clerk thought I was going to do with that combination. Probably too fetishy for my imagination.

I came back home and the damned thing was still going off. I sat in the parking garage with the radio on for another half an hour. I am tired this morning. Oh well, nothing to be done about that.

And why, you might ask, did I need to buy another sleep mask? Well it seems that I've lost my other one in the Candy-Spelling-vastness of my home. I cannot imagine what has happened to it. I've looked high and low, stripped the beds, and I cannot find it. Of course, I'm expecting it to show up tomorrow. Probably in the fridge. Oh well. This new one is bright blue, so it won't be as easily lost.

Got in a good workout last night and fixed myself a really nice (huge) salad for dinner - topped with grilled tilapia. I've begun charting my food, not for quantity but for quality. I'm trying to increase my fiber content and decrease the overall fat consumption to try to deal with my elevated LDL numbers. Turns out that yesterday I ate 1200 calories (lower than I like), had a nice workout and gained a half a pound. This is why I hate weighing and measuring. I'm trying to keep everything the same and just work on changing up the breakfasts. So I've weighed, just to see how these food tweaks are affecting me. I've had Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries and some flax seed meal for breakfast for the last two days. This morning is an eggbeaters omelet with mushrooms, onions and roasted red peppers. Sure looks good.

Mid-day workout will be the elliptical, I think - unless something else just screams my name. I'm planning an evening easy workout, followed by a spinach salad, topped with salmon and blueberries. Are we sensing a superfood theme? Yea, me too.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Be super with your food.

-Roxie
151.5

11 comments:

  1. Sucks about the fire alarms Roxie... If you are anything like me, getting to be later sets off your entire day.
    I find I need to keep logging my food right now just to either keep the numbers up, or down depending on the day. Since I've been working out much more, I'm hungrier so it is important I log right now so that I don't overeat the wrong stuff.
    Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Candy Spelling-ness of your place. Seriously cracked me up this morning. Still laughing.

    I knew when I read your title what had happened with the alarm. Maybe you are ment to meet a handsome fireman. Stick around next time....cause you know there will be a next time...lol.

    I just read yesterday's post. Sounds like you handles it well. Family Fall-out.....they need an under ground shelter for that crap!

    Your food sounds delish. I love fish. I need to look up the tilapia recipe you use.

    Thanks for the laugh this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to google sleep mask. Keep picturing you putting on a disguise when you want to go to sleep, so the sandman doesn't recognize you.
    Hope the alarms get their act together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those false fire alarms would get old, fast...but I agree with Dana - put on a sexy shirt and stick around for the fireman (the shirt idea comes from Modern Family - one of the funniest TV shows out there).

    When you find your sleep mask, can you also tell me where my new Ulta catalog is? I know I brought it into the house with yesterday's mail...but have no idea where it is now.

    Are we always going to need to go back to food tracking? I wonder if it is something akin to an oil change for the car - you just have to do it every six months to keep things running properly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How annoying that you had to take refuge in Target because of an alarm.
    Your food choices sound marvelous.
    9 weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's annoying about the alarm. I'm really grumpy when my sleep is interupted. You took it better than me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe the alarm is a gimmick from Target to get you over there shopping.
    I was once in a hotel fire in Montreal that was annoying. I'd rather be wandering a Target in my night thong. (ahahahhahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fire alarms are definitely annoying. They really should try to figure out what is wrong, because the more false alarms you have in a building, the less likely people are to actually pay attention when "the real thing" happens. I'm also surprised the fire department hasn't fined them for repeat false alarms.

    Well, enough of that business talk from me. :)

    Maybe the grand-beast ate your other sleep mask?

    I meant to comment on your family drama, it sounds like you are handling this so well. You've obviously learned alot about yourself and what you can and cannot change. It's very liberating to finally realize that we are not responsible for other's happiness. Thank you for sharing that part of your life with us. It helps me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are too funny, going to Target in your PJ's. I hope the fire alarm thing stops soon. Maybe you should hang around and meet the firemen. I know I would, but we all know I have a thing for firemen, lol.

    Who is Candy Spelling? I guess I'll Google her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the sounds of that spinach salad (with a touch of egg & bacon dressing) topped with a bit if grilled salmon & some berries. I will have to remember that for when the spousal unit is off on her trip.

    Handguns were made specifically for shooting bothersome alarms.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.