Thursday, March 11, 2010

Making Adjustments

I didn't start out with the intention of making these adjustments, they just sort of happened. And I'm happy with them.

For whatever reason, I've been requiring more sleep lately. Not in a depression way, it's just that I've been sleep deprived for decades and I decided that an extra hour is a good thing. So I've moved my morning workouts to the evening which has a three-fold benefit: 1. Extra sleep in the morning, 2. Exercise, and most importantly, 3. Less time to troll through the kitchen with dramatically reduces the "hominy oatcake" opportunities.

Turns out, I've also stopped with the coffee in the morning. And why not? It's never been a lifelong habit with me, I just picked it up while living with Bick. It wouldn't be a big deal if I drank the stuff black, but as previously written, I drink coffee punch - real cream and fake sugar. So why not just leave off those calories? I haven't even missed it. I'm at a point in my maintenance that further calorie restriction feels, well, restrictive and I have a really hard time with this.

Yes, I'd like to get into the 140's and be able to stay there, but these last few pounds are difficult and if I get there by restrictive means, I won't stay for long. Witness the last year - I think I've dipped down there a couple of times, only to come back up. So, I'll take this easy shot at shaving off a few calories while I can with the whole weekday morning coffee. I cannot out-train a bad diet.

And speaking of adjustments, I got the results of my bloodwork back. Seems while my overall cholesterol is okay, my bad numbers are too high. So I do need to work that out. I probably eat too many eggs, as it's been my breakfast staple for ages. I need to investigate perhaps quinoa as a breakfast cereal. Everyone's fallback steel-cut oats doesn't work for me, so I've got to find something else. Eggwhite omelets are also on the horizon. It will take some adjustments there, as if I don't get enough good fats in my diet, then I stay unsatisfied.

Today is restorative yoga at lunch - I really look forward to that relaxing time. And I've got a meeting tonight.

As for the Planes, Trains and Automobiles, well, I've allowed that to be off the table for now. I've agreed to keep The GrandBeast (and his CRATE) for the holiday weekend while the kids go camping. He's adorable and wonderful when he's not left alone, so I agreed only if I can crate him when I have to leave. Otherwise, I'm hoping for good weather. Hell, if they weather is bad, they won't be camping.

But I did take some time to look into this. The train does sound interesting, but I don't know that OKC does. I could go to Hot Springs, but when I mentioned this to Pebbles her response was "Jesus, Mom, are you like seventy?" Plus she told me to make sure I wasn't confusing train travel in other areas with train travel here. She's done the OKC a few times - anyone remember Little Drummer Boy? (Gotta google him). She said it's not a fun experience - however, her idea and mine may be different. And of course, I'd love to visit AZ again and hike with the dear Dana, but I don't know that I can get there before the summer heat does. So, this is all still up in the air, or should I say grounded for now. But I am going to keep an eye out. Something fun to think about.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Adjust when necessary.

-Roxie

14 comments:

  1. Love Pebbles reaction to the Hot Springs Idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful side picture! Hope you sort out the travel stuff. If you go see Dana I'll be jealous *smile*. Love the talk of the granbeast lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roxie this post has me wondering if we ever each a stage of life where we don't make any more adjustments! Yours are good ones though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Listen, if I ever get to the point where I can actually sleep several hours in a row, I'd make that my priority, too.

    Good luck with the GB - you are a good woman to take that dog in again, even with the crate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's so great that you've realized sustainability is the key to keeping weight off. I used to restrict, restrict restrict and then...oh, what do ya know! i'd binge eat. it's so interesting to me to compare your physically and (most importantly!) mentally healthy methods to all of this, with my reflections on my past eating disorder. you've really got this figured out, youre on the right path!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've found small adjustments have worked for me. I think a train adventure sounds great.

    I have decided to switch blogs. would love to keep in touch with you and see your progress. If so inclined, please join me at: http://mpaxauthor.blogspot.com/

    and I will add you onto my blog roll there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sleep is always a good thing...the best. Sometimes you have to decide things rating them good, better, best. There are so many things to do.

    I can understand the reasons to stay grounded. The AZ heat will be here before you know it. There is always next year!

    Freaked when I saw you were taking the Gbeast, but then I read crate. That should nix a repeat of last time.

    Hope you have great weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are egg beaters an option for you? They taste pretty good in my opinion. Especially when you add fresh veggies like broccoli or red peppers for a scramble or an omelet. As always, your posts are eloquent and inspiring! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of a train trip. I've been studying the Amtrak website figuring out how much I could see going west. I thought about getting some kind of pass, stopping in different cities and having no set destination. I've never done anything like -- usually when I travel I know exactly where I'm going -- but I like the idea of just going and finding whatever may be there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't understand why you won't eat a hominy oatcake for breakfast?

    Also, I'm glad Pebbles is your daughter. What if she said that to me about being 70? I'd have to answer yes to that question.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love for you to visit Arizona and see me too! But it would have to be quick because the summer heat is creeping up.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.