Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Drycleaners

I was taking a short cut from the hair salon to the dry cleaners when I came across a house that perfectly fits all my criteria. Except that the timing is all wrong. Or is it?

Yes, I have a lease and there is a penalty, but if I decide to move forward quickly, then the tax credit would more than offset that. And I even have a couple of sub-let options available.

But there is more to this than financial, obviously. There is Bick. And this house would feel like permanently shutting that door. I just need to talk myself out of:

thinking that I can foretell the future
that only one man or one house are perfect for me
that I am solely responsible for our relationship
thinking I have to make the perfect decision'
thinking I have control
magical thinking
feeling the need to "price" myself at a discount, rather than a premium



As my daughter told me this morning, "Mom, you've regretted most the decisions that you haven't made more than the ones you have." And she's right. It's been lack of faith and trust in myself that has hampered me for far too long.

So I've put in a call to recommended realtor and I'm scheduling an appointment to see the house. I've gotta know where this goes.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Don't undervalue yourself.

-Roxie
143

15 comments:

  1. As a fellow real estate scavenger, I celebrate your success! Even if it doesn't work out, there is something magical a house that speaks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to listen to your inner voice and keep your heart open to what the universe presents...if nothing else, you're doing things a little differently here, and that's worth a lot!

    Can't wait to hear the details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roxie, when we bought our house 4 years ago everything pointed against it - including the fact that it was priced $40K ABOVE our top amount we felt we could afford. The real estate agents (ours & theirs) thought we were crazy. But it was MY house. I just knew it. We hung in there and looked at every crappy house on the market. My heart would sink each time the agent called and said, "I found a house in your range!" Because I knew that one house was meant to be mine and I didn't want to compromise anything. Well, the house didn't sell and they kept dropping the price. Eventually they called US and asked if we were still interested and accepted our final bid.

    I guess I said all that to say:

    Don't compromise
    Believe in Yourself (no second guessing!)
    Que Sera, Sera

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, interesting! Great point that Pebbles made - I'm glad you are going to check out the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to hearing how it was inside! Follow your gut Roxie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like destiny is paying you a visit. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. See the house, you'll know if this is actually the right time. If you don't at least check it out, you'll never know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Listen to your kid. She knows what she's talking about. Besides, it doesn't have to shut any doors. You DO have to see where this goes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read just a few moments ago:

    They say that so often when they sat with people who were on their deathbed, they heard these three themes -
    I wish I had gotten divorced earlier; I wish I had taken a job for love of the work, not money; I wish I had played and enjoyed myself more.
    **********************************************

    You can only count on yourself in this, Roxie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so good for me Roxie! Believe in yourself girlfriend!Trust yourself.The planets are aligned! JInx!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Few things are more exciting than a great new house. Good luck in your exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just today read an article about gut instinct and following our intuition as opposed to our analytical mind.
    YOU know, or will know, the right answer, Roxie, cause you're smart like that.

    I love the magic of serendipity. If this IS the right house well, that would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. and this ...
    "feeling the need to "price" myself at a discount, rather than a premium" ...
    is a message we all need to hear more of.

    You just amaze me, you know. I don't know what you see but I see an incredibly intelligent & wise woman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Roxie - I love things like this.
    Loving it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Being interested in a house is not closing the door on Bick. Buying a house is not closing the door. It changes the dynamic, but ends nothing. Except the lease.

    Besides, a little window shopping never hurt.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.