Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Perfect is the Enemy of The Good

I read the above line over at GRS, a personal finance blog that I read. The author was talking about people (read me) who want to make the perfect decision and are stymied by the options, so they do nothing. Basically, there are a lot of good decisions to be made and made now.

The same theory applies to many things - it would be perfect if I was motivated enough to take up serious training to run a half or even a full marathon or perhaps, serious weight lifting. I could sit around on the couch awaiting the right book or movie or friend or blog to get my mojo geared up to become superfit and superstrong. Those are laudable goals; however, I don't have that motivation right now, so I'm doing "good enough" instead. I've found a level of exercise that doesn't make me dread it every single day of my being and I'm doing it consistently. It doesn't feel like punishment, it feels like reward.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Act now.

-Roxie
145

9 comments:

  1. I find that to be so true. I know there's an old French phrase to the contrary, but I don't care. I find it far more helpful with most things to do a modest amount of research and make a choice than vascillate forever seeking the perfect option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know for me, with exercise, if it were something I dreaded, I wouldn't do it (swimming, anyone?)...you are right on track with what you are doing, as far as I'm concerned.

    Oh, and indecision can be my middle name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am kind of in this place right now. I am spinning a little because I have so many choices and don't know which one I should pursue because I am afraid it will be the wrong one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally understand this and take it a step farther. I sometimes make a decision - a bad one - when I feel overwhelmed trying to be perfect. So not good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely! Something's better than nothing, and nobody's perfect. I think many of us let the fact that we can't do it all keep us from trying to do anything. Good reminder that it doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing approach to get the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely agree with you. All or nothing action usually leads to failure and quitting in the end. I'm the same as you. I don't think that I will ever run a marathon or half marathon. I don't even like any organized races. But I do workout a hour to an hour and a half everyday. Get my heart rate up and work up a good sweat. For the most part I thoroughly enjoy this exercise time and look forward to it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I share the paralysis by analysis gene with you. I have recently adopted a similar tack as you - do SOMETHING now, I can always change my mind down the road (usually).

    I guess we have to accept doing the best we can with what we've got.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been kind of paralyzed lately. I walked into a wall this morning and kept on going. So it's not exactly paralysis but a sort of not knowing where I am headed. Oh and it hurt a bit.
    Sometimes by doing nothing, we act.
    And sometimes by walking into a wall, we receive the message loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're preaching to the choir here, Sister!

    What got me moving this week was a box of mint tea. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.