Friday, May 21, 2010

Broken Homes

I screwed up this one myself. I waited too long and when I decided that I wanted to further investigate, it was already sold. I had made the "Thanksgiving House" error in thinking on this one. It took a conversation with Pebbles to help me think this through.

The Thanksgiving House error is just a personal WTH? thing. I see many couples my age go into a much bigger, more expensive, more grand house. The reason? "So the kids can come home at Thanksgiving" - my pragmatic, practical side thought is "You are going to buy, pay and insure more house just for one, maybe two days a year?" Doesn't make sense to me, but to each his own. But this related to my error on the above house - it was out of walk-to-work range. Pebbles point was made by asking me just how often I really thought I would walk to work - in the rain? No. When it's 100 degrees plus? No. When it's below 50? No. When I have a presentation? No. When I have an important meeting? No. Her point was that I was ruling out a perfectly lovely home in a nice neighborhood, 5 minute drive from work, for something that I would reasonably do 15-20 times per year.

The other thing that kept me from this house was the "no garage" - it had been converted. Her point, duh!, was that I could unconvert it! So I let this house slip through. I didn't actually see inside it, which I now know that it makes them much easier to eliminate if they aren't right. But I did learn a valuable lesson with no one to blame but my flawed logic.

On another note, my office is in a state of chaos right now. Two women announced their pending divorces on the same day, plus there's another one in an adjacent office. Must be something in the water. It's going to be one helluva summer around here.

As for the recipe for the sweet potato black bean chili, I cannot tell you the recipe as I am constitutionally incapable of following a recipe. I adjust (heavily) to what I like, what I have on hand, what might work, etc. So just do as I did, google it up, look at a couple of recipes, determine the "best of" parts and add your own level of kick. BTW - it didn't kick back too badly ;-)

In other news of my inpetitude, I went to the gym last night, but forgot my headphones. I am also constitutionally incapable of using the elliptical/stairstepper/treadmill without the distraction of SOMETHING! So I bailed after about 20 minutes of sheer boredom. Today I will do better. Some cardio at lunch!

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Re-examine your truths.

-Roxie
140

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you and Pebbles had those conversations because this will help in the future. But, I'm still a great believer that when it's not meant to be, it's not. So, there are probably other reasons why...

    I cook like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love having a kid as smart as Pebbles?

    There's another blog I read done by a gal in your area that also mentioned a spate of recent divorce announcements. What ARE they putting in your water besides fluoride & chlorine?

    I will have to chase down those recipes for the chili & make some notes. It'd be great to distill them down to a 'low kick' variety too. Best part about experimental cooking? Sometimes even the mistakes aren't half bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the boredom that comes with certain workouts - you did good, lasting 20 minutes sans headphones.

    Your daughter is so logical - can I borrow her sometime? And although I've never heard of the "thanksgiving home" term, I get that so well (says she who is living in a 4 bedroom house with 2 people) - I am looking forward to downsizing one of these days! Your house is out there - it may not start out perfect, but you will make it so.

    Have a great weekend with Guillome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny how we often blind ourselves, isn't it?

    We are emotional creatures though. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That house is cute. But it's not the only cute house.
    If you're not happy where you are, you won't be happier anyplace else. I know cuz I'm constantly trying to escape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's the boredom that kills the joy....
    I have several earbuds, I keep like a junkie keeps a stash......for that I am......when it comes to my iPod.
    One in the truck, one in my bag, one here, one there...
    'Cuz ya just never know!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.