Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

The picture doesn't do it justice, but the original plaster casting of the Iwo Jima monument is on display in Harlingen. I wasn't expecting much, to be truthful, but it is pretty damned impressive to see in real life. The scale is much larger than I expected and it sits on a beautiful campus of the Marine Military Academy. I think if you were a privileged, but wayward, youth threatened with boarding school, this would be where you would end up. Beautiful campus and inspiring monument.

As for Shelley's question in the comments re: Is the coast worth it? Absolutely. Not during spring break stupid time, but last week it was wonderful. Uncrowded, plenty of places to stay at lots of price points, clean beaches. Of course, as Memorial Weekend arrived, it got more crowded. We actually tried to stay an extra day on SPI, but Bick's preferred dog-friendly accommodations (LQ) were already booked up. This is what happens when you wait until the day of! From what I've seen, there doesn't appear to be a bad choice on SPI. I've heard good things about Port Aransas, as well. Longtime readers may remember that I fell in love with Crystal Beach and we had planned to make that a yearly deal. Hurricane Ike took that off the table, however.

My day ended up on a good note yesterday. I was a bit teary, off and on. Again, all okay, all normal. I had some things to do and in the midst of it all, broke a nail. So that led me to the salon/spa for a repair. My normal person doesn't work on Sunday, so I ended up with someone else. She knows I'm Dawn's client, as I've been coming to the salon for years, but in the course of conversation, she asked what I was doing for the weekend. I told her about the wedding at 5pm (my appointment was at 2:15). Long story short, she asked if I'd to get my hair styled (and a lip and brow wax - always the up sell!) and she could have me out of the salon by 3:30! So we were off to the races and the giggles! She did get me out of the door at 3:35, which gave me just enough time to run home, get cleaned up, put on makeup and change dresses three times. I didn't even wear the dress I'd bought for this occasion. I ended up wearing the first dress I'd bought (but didn't wear) for Pebbles' wedding. It ended up being the right choice. I just wasn't feeling the other dress(es) yesterday.

The wedding ceremony itself was just lovely. Wonderful, personal, elegant and understated. They chose to let the chapel speak for itself and did not gild the lily. I did, however, almost bail out after the wedding and not go to the reception. I didn't see a soul I knew. I knew people had been planning to go, but must have opted out at the last minute. The thought of spending the rest of the evening with strangers was more than I wanted to deal with, so I headed out to the car to leave from the ceremony. Luckily, I sometimes get the opportunity to talk myself into doing the right thing, even if my natural instinct is to do the wrong thing. I made myself go to the reception (stopping at 7-11 first for a healthy snack of carrots and celery sticks so I wouldn't be STARVING). Once there, I found bunches of people I knew (I hadn't read my work email since leaving a week ago and I didn't get the memo that basically said the chapel was going to be PACKED and feel free just to head to the reception instead). It was a wonderful time to catch up and share a moment or two with some long time friends. I remember when this young woman was BORN - that's how long I've been at my job! Anyway, it was a fun evening and I'm very glad I got powdered and fluffed and actually went.

Cha-Cha and I are heading out on a bike ride this morning. Some new sections of trail have opened up in the last weeks. So I'll hit some of that this morning while it's still cool. After that, I've got to clean up The Closet. It looks like a cyclone hit it. Don't have any plans after that.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Remember.

-Roxie
145.5

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful time was had - and you cannot go wrong with some extra pampering :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes I think I should do the opposite of my desires and instincts, and that will be "right!"

    Glad you has such a great time, Roxie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful, cool morning here in North Texas and I hope you and Cha-Cha had a wonderful ride!

    Next time we're in Denton we will definitely have to hook up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I wish we had a picture. I bet you looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the monument picture today!!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.