Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The One Thing A Week Challenge

Every single success I've ever had in conquering mountains of: 1. fat, 2. debt, 3. clutter, 4. emotional crappage began and continued by making small, incremental changes. Every day raised the question "Is what I am doing today moving me closer to my goal?"

My next set of obstacles is overcoming procrastination, fear, dread, whatever to become a more complete, responsible adult. Specifically, I have some fiscal tasks that I need to complete - getting a rider for an insurance policy, increasing liability insurance, getting a new policy for Reata South, get some legal paperwork cleared up, take some other actions outlined in my financial plan, and a few other odds and ends. I've been postponing this. Or ignoring. Whatever. So my public challenge this week is to write down (in no particular order) the actions that I need to take in the coming months. I just need to get all of these things corraled and in one place so that I can start culling the herd.

In tackling these things, what I am really doing is assuming complete responsibility for my own actions and life. No one else is going to do this for me. No one else cares about it as much as I do.

Action Item for this week: Rather than fret about all those things floating out there that I need to do, I will quantify it. I will make lists so that I have a starting point and a reference point.

Anybody care to join me? What's your vision for your future? And is what you are doing today moving you towards that goal?

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Create a vision and the follow-through, with small, easier-to-manage steps.
-Roxie
141

10 comments:

  1. Roxie i know you've been following my blog for a while now. So you know my struggles. I would love to talk about this on my blog but you just never know when hubby might decide to to read said blog, not that he ever does.......

    I've decided to do a very difficult thing........My weightloss and consequently more active lifestyle has put a few wrenches in the workings of my marriage. Nothing earth shattereing i don't think but it has definately interrupted the status quo of coming up on 21 years of marriage. I want to DO things i want to LIVE life.......he does not and in this instance he can not.......Here the thing...(sorry for the long comment, hope you'll forgiv me. ) We are going to Wimberley,Tx for our anniversary. Theres a flea market(huge) and a glass blowing place ans a big Bonsai GArden AND heres the kicker.....a Zipline Tour. You know where you harness up and they've strung a line from ridgeline to ridgeline and you slide down it.....anyway. I want to do this. It looks like fun. You can check it out at wimberleyzipline.com. Well they have a weightlimit. 250 pounds for guys , hubby is over that by at least 20+ pounds. They will not waiver. The old me would have blown it off and said well lets forget it. But this 'me' wants to do it anyway. I'am well under the weightlimit.He says he has no problem going and taking pictures. So its me i feel guilty. And at the same time i feel that maybe if he has to sit this one out and watch it might motivate him to lose a little and not have to be on the sidelines of our life....Its so hard to sit back and let him come to his own conclulsion that he needs to get healthier. So your making your lists to get things done you need done. And i'm realizing just how much easier it was when i weighed 250 pounds, sat on the couch and didn't care. You can do it Roxie and so can i. Lets take the hard road. The road less traveled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went gung ho on my kitchen and then just stopped with everything else.
    I'll join you. I'm still back at decluttering my home but it needs to be done so that everything else I want to accomplish can all fall in to a place ... a clutter free one!
    One thing I dropped from the agenda was seeking out a relationship and that's removed a lot of anxiety and fret. I made a shift in my mind about it and it's brought me peace. Consequently, I dropped the bad feelings about it and lessened my need to binge about them.

    As always, Roxie, I grow when I come here. You make me want to be a better me.
    Have a wonderful day with lots and lots of cattle! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Roxie! And a great stategy to get past the fearful, nervous stage of thinking 'I don't even know where to start' and into the doing! Good luck with managing the little steps and getting where you need to be. I need to adopt the same approach to some of my problems too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting how the changes in our little "village" all seem to cycle together at times.....
    I have adopted a "minimalist" mindset -
    "Adopted" because it's not mine yet.... It's still a borrowed concept.
    I truly desire to simplify my life. And not just "move away from" concepts that I have struggled with --but actually "move toward" what I now want in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving the list idea - I used to do that often, but haven't, lately. There are several goals that I need to sit down and plan out how I'm going to achieve them. Pen, meet paper - today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shredded some lists earlier today. I like your idea. But how do you put "I need to care enough" on a list.
    How do you start to care enough to make a list?
    I think I have to wait awhile. I've been in a funk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to quit doing the status quo. I have some things I want to do, but have some fear of doing.

    I want to get off the last 10 pound roller coaster, too. I know what I need to do, but I have to really want to do it.

    Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is anti-clutter week at the office. I've been shredding every day and can actually see some headway. My goal is to keep up my ten minutes of shredding daily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh I need to do this! Yet I'm frozen. At my job we call it analysis paralysis. It's when you get stuck trying to figure out how to code something then you wind up do nothing because you can't figure out the best way to do it.

    I have it when it comes to deciding what to do with the rest of my life. I need to find a different job, but just thinking about it throws me into a tizzy.

    Yes, I'll join you. I'll post this week about it. Great idea. We talk about baby steps for losing weight, so baby steps for figuring out the rest of my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Crap! It's nice to know I am not the only person frozen with fear at times.

    I loved this post. I am on broad. One goal this week. That's doable.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.