Wednesday, May 19, 2010

vas-y!

Just take a deep breath and do something different. On Friday, I'm hosting a French traveller who is on a year-long tour around North America. He (yes it's a he and he's young enough to be my son) arrives on Friday morning and I'm showing him the sites. Pebbles and Slater, who hope to do a similar year-long trip through Europe and Asia, are coming over for dinner. They hope to gather information about his travels, meditation stays and his volunteer efforts. Let me just say - this is certainly out of the ordinary for me, but I believe that we can all learn from one another. This is just me, doing my part, paying it forward so that when my kiddos are across the world, some other mother will take them in and show them around.

I've got some Texas-centric things planned - touring "old town", watching the cattle drive, visiting the American/Western art museum, in addition to the other world class museums - and what I hope will be the highlight - I'm taking him to a horse show - and not an ordinary horse show, but one that showcases the skills necessary to be a ranch horse. If it's cowboys he wants to see, then I am just the old cowgirl to provide color commentary. Anyway, I'm nervous, but hopeful that he enjoys his short stay in Cowtown.

I've got a workout planned at lunch with maybe, just maybe, some weight work thrown in.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Joie de vivre.

-Roxie
140

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a great visit planned for your traveler. Your 'discovery' day yesterday looked like one big string of successes. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh La La!

    Can I come visit even though I'm not French?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun, but I have to say that the cattle drive (if it's the one at the stockyards) was a huge disappointment to me...with all of the "stay on the sidewalk" "stay back" cautions, I expected them to stampede down the street, not amble slowly. My husband couldn't stop laughing at the look on my face - he was all "really? you think they are going to run cattle right by all of these tourists without a barrier?" - well actually, I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's going to have a great time. Someone will look after your kiddos for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oui Oui! Sounds like a cool agenda for him

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL@Shelley - this ain't Pamplona!

    And yes, Helen, you can most certainly come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. amusez-vous bien! ... I had to google. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds really exciting! If or when I make it back to Texas I'd love to have you give me a tour too if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One thing I love and miss about Texas so much is the kitchy art scene. I hope you guys have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that French phrase and in addition to qua-saan, I taught joie de vivre to Hannah who sounds insanely wonderful when she says it. It makes her laugh.

    I wouldn't mind entertaining a visiting dignitary from anywhere but Makita might object.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oui, Madame! I love how you step outside the box.

    That Makita, he's such a tool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a cool person and this is such a cool thing to do. I know he's going to really appreciate it and what goes around comes around. Pebbles and Slater will be well taken care of on their trip to Europe. Guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.