Tuesday, June 15, 2010

As I Contemplate Walking

Walking has been on my mind a good deal recently. A friend was asking me about how I was adjusting to city life and I found myself telling her that I found the life much more simple and much more contemplative. I am walking much more and more "present", if that makes any sense. While my yoga and meditation practices have lessened, I still feel like I'm practicing daily and I attribute those feelings of "centeredness" to my walking around more - being on the ground and in the present. While I'm not advocating giving up cars, as I have fallen in love with MalibuKen, I do think that there is something that keeps life (for me) a bit more real than driving around in a pod. My life seems a bit more deliberate these days. I do know that there are certainly other factors at play, but citylife = simplerlife for me.

Walking is also benefiting me just in the caloric burn of moving around more. I'm less static these days. I try to structure my life such that I need to walk to the store every couple of days for something. Yes, I could make one big trip in MalibuKen and stock up for a month, but that keeps me from moving, keeps me off the streets, keeps me on the couch, keeps me isolated. It really is a shift in lifestyle and one that provides me with some interesting and unexpected benefits.

I was listening to Dr. James Levine, author of Move A Little, Lose A Lot who had some interesting things to say about just interjecting more movement in our everyday life, and not necessarily in the form of exercise. It would be interesting to see just how much more activity we could create in our lives if we practiced his suggestions with some conviction.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Practice Walking as a Lifestyle.

-Roxie
141.5

12 comments:

  1. I truly believe that walking as a great form of meditation. I love walking, either at a leisurely pace or for exercising.

    There are specific walking meditations practiced daily. I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the late 1970s and early 1980s I lived in Zambia, Africa. We did not have a car therefore I walked everywhere, including 2 miles each way to work and back. I was naturally the thinnest I've ever been in my life. Honestly, I don't remember restricting anything from my diet. That says a lot about what walking can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am city living lover.

    I completely agree with you that city living is simpler. You don't have as much space to accumulate "stuff." For me the quality of life is also better with convenient access via foot to so much.
    As always, I love your posts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love walking, too. For me, it can be a kind of meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very well said - that sums up everything I believe about walking too! Obviously I don't live in a city so when walking I have no choice but to drive more, but at the moment my car comes out once a week at most and everywhere else I go, I go on my own two feet. For me one of the most amazing things about walking more is how much more you see of the world around you when not whizzing past at x miles an hour in a steel box...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do my best thinking while I walk. Good thing I do it everyday. I just might come up with a good idea. I live in a very small 2 bedroom. I have very little stuff. I like it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your new format, first. Your blog has a very peaceful feeling. I loved your post today about simplifying and finding your life feeling more deliberate and contemplative. Walking is my favorite form of exercise.

    Have you read Peace Is Every Step by Thic Nhat Hanh? I suspect you have. Beautiful and I think of it whenever I walk alone or with only my Zen dog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I walked to a destination today (after giving up on a run 3/4 of the way in) - we ended up talking a long route but it felt so good to be in decent enough shape to do something like that. You are right - we all should walk more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really do try and walk as much as I can more for the meditative and CALMING qualities than anything else.

    life is so rushrushrush it can be my only centering time some days.

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unless I walk in my park behind my house there really aren't many safe places to walk here in Orlando. Living in suburbia every thing is spread out and you have to drive. Orlando isn't safe to walk/bike in anywhere near a highway. More & More I think living in Orlando isn't nice period.
    I love the new look to your blog and to answer your question about what I am reading I am still lookin for the next "good" read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Walking keeps you grounded. Love the concept. A nice long walk can be very meditative too - cleansing body & soul. Who can turn down a two for one deal?

    ReplyDelete
  12. New Yorkers are famously slim and I can see why. It's easier to walk everywhere and they have access to fabulous-- the best is more satisfying.

    I do think ample movement during the day helps enormously. Trying not to send the kids on my errands up stairs and we're playing tennis and picking fruit. And walking for our ice cream... hmmm!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.