Wednesday, June 9, 2010
Running The Numbers: Part 2
Sometimes I just need to be distracted from eating, thinking, ruminating, obsessing, whatever is bring me down. That being said, the distraction shouldn't be destructive - first, do no harm. I don't want to turn to food if I'm obsessing and I don't want to turn to excessive shopping to distract myself from over-eating. I don't want to acquire "stuff", so recreation shopping isn't an answer - it creates clutter AND reduces your finances. We all need financial freedom and power in our lives. There are, however, ways to spend a little something on an item that is actually useful, so I've included those here.
11. Massage - check out any massage therapy schools in your area if you are looking to pinch your nickels.
12. Get a blowout. I did this last night. I called the local beauty school and they offer this service. $8.00 plus tip and my hair looks great. For a few bucks, I can afford the salon look and not pay the salon price. Yes, it took longer than it would have at a salon, but hell, I was looking to kill time and be distracted. I met a lovely young woman who did a nice job on my hair. I got her card and I'll be going back.
13. Farmer's Market:Dallas. Best market in the area. Can get there by public transit, so there's the trip AND the shopping AND supporting locally grown foods.
14. Farmer's Market:Fort Worth. Find out where the "flash" farmer's market is being held this week. Ditto Above. Well, not a real trip involved.
15. Farmer's Market: Weatherford. First Monday.
16. Wash the car
17. Vacuum car
18. From the To Buy List: One bar of fancy soap. I keep a To Buy list. On this list are, surprisingly enough, things I need or want. I actually just purchased a bar of fancy soap last weekend. Other things on my To Buy list include a floor lamp, running skirt, new running shoes, etc. I usually do not impulse shop. Most things spend quite some time on my To Buy list before I actually set about acquiring them.
19. From the To Buy List: Fancy Candle. If you already have enough fancy, smelly candles then for heaven's sake, set them aflame!
20. Pool time - I've never been to The Pool at The Closet, but I like splashing around. Might be a fun way to kill a half hour.
to be continued....
Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Distraction is the better part of valor.