Monday, June 14, 2010

Sunday In The Park with Cha-Cha



Lovely, lovely weekend. I went on a bike ride both mornings - neither for longer than I usually do, but fabulous all the same. Sunday's ride was especially nice. I stuck really close to home and just rode this awesome loop in the park five or six times. I got a much later start and was worried about being out in the heat, but a good part of this particular loop is through the trees and is completely shaded. It's also a bit of downhill, twisty, and over a couple of bridges. While the wind was wicked when I was on the open part of the loop, when it was washing over me while I was in the trees, it was a cool breeze. Pretty awesome. I spent some time out of the saddle doing sprints which was great fun, as well.

Slater and Pebbles came over for a Costco run on Saturday and brought me some of Pebbles' bacon, sun-dried tomato and leek quiche, complete with homemade crust - also complete with accidental home-churned butter. She tells me that homemade butter is what happens when you ask your husband to whip some cream for some berries! While Slater was over, he brought his floor pump and aired up Cha-Cha's tires.

I've decided to to try and ride more during the week. With the discovery of this loop that is at least half in the shade, I can ride in the evenings even when the temp is up if I don't have to spend the entire time out in the blazing sun. Clementine "Cha-Cha" Peddleford is normally garaged on the off-side of the bed. Given the size of The Closet, for Cha-Cha to go to bed, I have to lift her up and put her tires on the footboard and roll her across the bed. And because I'm so lazy, I'd die if drawing a breath didn't come naturally, leaving Cha-Cha out in the living room unless there is company makes it easier for my just to take an evening ride.

Had a wonderful evening on Saturday night. Bick and I went out to the Poolville Pagans for a wonderful gathering and cookout. It was really our first outing in a larger group social setting and I cannot say how much I enjoyed just being able to relax and not worry when/if things would go off the rails. And it was nice on Sunday morning not to wake up and cringe.

I also made a quick trip out to Reata South to see my Mom and sister yesterday. It is still very important to me to have a good relationship with my family. I was doing some program reading yesterday about willingness. I don't have to have all the answers today, I just have to be willing. So yesterday, I was willing. I'd picked up a small gift for my sister - something she's mentioned she wanted - and so I called and went out there. There is a part of this whole deal that is has an element of comedy to it. Some months ago, I was asked to finance the "farm truck" - which I've since learned is a 3/4 ton diesel dually - and I declined stating that I didn't want our finances entangled any more than they already were. Shitstorm ensued. Other methods were found to get said farm truck. But neither have admitted to me that she actually bought the truck and so they park it at the neighbors whenever I come around. I don't have any real clarity on how to let them know that my sister's boss (my dentist) spilled the beans by asking me if my sister had let me drive the "monster truck". Oh well.

Workman and chaos are reigning at the workplace today. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until the power gets cut!

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Find some shade.


-Roxie
141

Photo Credit

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous route you ride on!
    Um ... I'd be lazy too if I had that routine for putting my bike away!

    That sure is a lot of energy your family is wasting on keeping a *secret*, eh? oh Families.

    I'm happy that you and Bick went out! :D

    my word ver. ~~ flitinni ... I think that's a martini for people who ride. I'm pretty sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a nice weekend. Love your description of waking up and not having to cringe.

    Wow - interesting family secret stuff. And how smart you were/are to have not intermingled the finances! That is really a recipe for family-relation disaster!

    Willingness is a valuable commodity. And more elusive for me than I'd like. I'll keep working on it/praying about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Families and why they do what they do may be one of life's greatest mysteries!

    Your weekend with Cha Cha really sounds lovely. Glad you found the shady, safe place to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your morning rides sound so nice! I actually don't mind riding in the summer evenings - as long as I have sunglasses and a visor to shade my eyes, it feels pretty good as long as you keep moving (or creating your own breeze, as I like to call it). Bet you will become one lean mean biker chick by the end of summer!

    Yay for a good visit with the PP and Bick. And really? with the truck? Wow. Things like that must confirm your decision to not get involved with the money and them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lovely ride and weekend. How funny about the truck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great weekend. Hope your family feels they can quit hiding the truck soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need a bike! This looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a really fulfilling weekend.

    Ave you checked out Map My Ride yet? Cool application.

    Mind your hydration as you ride & you'll be fine. That shady loop sounds like a dream! Like our canal path multi-use path.

    (my verify word - jonshn. I am NOT even going there)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I go to Sam's I split everything....
    It's better that way!

    There's about an hour os so of daylight here,
    without direct sun....not a bad time for outdoor activities.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.