Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tuesday To Do Challenge

I have not made any real progress on my Tuesday To Do challenge. I did contact an insurance agent regarding some policy stuff, but he wants me to come in and talk. I think I'll respond and ask for more info via email. I will try to get one other business thing accomplished by week's end.

It rained last night, so doodling in the park with Clementine was out of the question. I did get my grocery shopping done and other errands done and I did get my workout clothes on, but never made it to the gym. Too much to do around The Closet. I was planning on attending pub trivia tonight, but I don't really have time. Tomorrow night is dinner with Sandy and Thursday night, I'm shoe-horning 10-12 people into The Closet for coffee and dessert following TS3D. And these are work people! Including my boss! I've borrowed more coffee cups, bought paper dessert plates and now I just need to powder and fluff. Clementine is back on her side of the bed and I've got out the folding chairs and the TV trays.

Inviting people into my home wasn't always easy for me. Hell, I spent decades not doing it at all. Residual shame, I guess. I finally had to sit myself down and give myself a talking to about what it was like to visit other peoples' homes. Did I wander around with white gloves on? Did I inspect every nook and cranny? Did I make judgments? Hell no. I went and visited and in some cases, drank coffee out of a chipped mug. It was about the people and the company, not the "finery" of the house. Clean(ish) is good enough. I don't have to impress anyone. Not that I was ever trying to impress, I just had this deep-seated notion that I was some how not good enough. That no one would even want to see me. All stupid human head tricks.



So I am continuing to actively work my way through those things, as I genuinely enjoy having company. I'm trying to do my part in restoring the "coffee company" tradition - which has gone the way of, well, the coffee klatch. No big fizz, just drop in for coffee and dessert. I don't have to bust out the origami swans. It can just be casual and easy-breezy and no one will judge. Oh hell, they might judge, but I probably don't care much for those folks anyway.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Entertain.

-Roxie
141

5 comments:

  1. Ack! I don't entertain...SO not comfortable with it, which is weird because my mother entertains at the drop of a hat (and I grew up watching it). Good that you are doing this - I'm sure it will be fun!

    Enjoy TS3D - we saw it last weekend and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the reason entertaining is hard for people is that they make too big a deal out of it. Coffee and dessert sounds perfect and I'm sure once you shoe horn everyone in, it will be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Stupid human head tricks" I like that and can really identify!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to get to that point and have people come over.... for coffee, or dinner, or to spend a week visiting!
    Wasn't the rain a welcome change?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's all about expectations. My hubby feels like everything has to be perfect when people come over and I don't care! So I just invite them over and straighten up a bit. He gets into the nooks and crannies!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.