Thursday, July 8, 2010

Back On Track

The whole mind-body-spirit connection and inter-connectedness never ceases to amaze me. It's so curious that exercising the body will help clear the mind, along with proper nutrition and some sleep, of course - all part of the Emergency Self-Esteem Repair Kit. Attention must be paid to all elements, including the spirit, to reach optimal health and peace. I continue to be amazed that after decades on the couch, that I now REQUIRE exercise. It's as necessary as breathing (most of the time) and I am even more amazed at how much I enjoy cycling. So after riding the bus home and futzing around a bit, I hopped on Cha-Cha and headed for a doodle in the park. My legs remembered that I'd ridden the day before, but still, it was good.

I am starting to recognize the regulars at the park. The man who asked if I was okay the day I took a fall a few weeks back, rode up last night to ask how I was doing and how far I was planning on riding last night. He was out for a forty! On a weeknight! Anyway, I was riding along about 3/4 of the way through my planned outing when I remembered I had wanted to see the PBS special on The Orient Express, so I left the park and came home. I missed the first 15 minutes of the special, but it was still interesting.

The Orient Express most famously ran from Paris to Istanbul, giving the rich and famous a ride in style. This particular special centered around the Agatha Christie novel Murder on The Orient Express and was very interesting. Unfortunately, the train no longer goes to Istanbul. In fact the train doesn't run at all any more - a victim of super trains and low-cost airlines. But what a fantasy! And although the train doesn't travel to Istanbul anymore, I will.

I'd been awaiting the okay from Pebbles' boss for her vacation, as I've decided to take her with me. She desperately wanted to go when she was living in Italy and I put the hammer down on that, unfortunately, ignorantly afraid for her safety. The okay came yesterday, and I bought the tickets. So now, she and I will make the trip together later in the fall as my big landmark 50th birthday gift to myself. I am looking forward to this trip with her, having made crystal clear my expectations. I think with it being just the two of us, we shall do just fine.

Recipe Bonus: Bick gave me some okra from his garden and I made Easy Indian Style Okra from allrecipes.com last night. Yummy! I will probably make it again tonight.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound sliced fresh okra
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
salt to taste

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until tender. Stir in the okra, and season with cumin, ginger, coriander, pepper and salt. Cook and stir for a few minutes, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and cover the pan. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until okra is tender.

My modifications. I didn't have an onion, so I didn't use that. I used 1TBL of olive oil instead of butter. I didn't use cumin - instead I used about a quarter teaspoon of: garam masala, ginger, tumeric, red pepper, white pepper, whole coriander seeds. And I didn't cook a whole pound of okra, but when I was eating this, I wished I had! Okra was very tender and NO SLIME!

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Get back on track.

-Roxie
139.5

8 comments:

  1. The okra looks yummy. I love okra and I love Indian flavors so I'll have to give it a try.

    So excited that you'll be celebrating in a BIG WAY! Too often I think we wait for others to do for us and then it's too late, you know?

    Temp is down 10 degrees from yesterday. Humidity is still wicked but the lower temps definitely help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great news about your trip. Perfect way to bring in your BD.

    That recipe sounds really good, but I have to admit, I have never even tried Okra. I'm going to have to now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love living in DFW - you can find almost everything here!
    The Emergency Self-Esteem Repair Kit! Love that!
    Bodies DO like to move. As is we were Born To Ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A trip with your daughter, just the two of you... FABULOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about exercise. It makes such a difference in my mood. I've been doing it for so long now, that it's habit. I look forward to it. I enjoy it.

    Istanbul! What a fabulous gift to yourself! I hope you blog about your experiences there. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very cool that you are becoming one with the "regulars" as you ride Cha-Cha!

    And, how exciting that you've booked your birthday trip! What a wonderful mother/daughter bonding experience that will be - and what an interesting country to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One womans Emergency SelfEsteem Repair Kit is anothers PERSONAL FIRST AID KIT.

    love it.

    and mine has changed my day...LIFE...on more occasions than I can remember.

    have a great weekend.

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.