Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly



Boy, yesterday was a mixed bag. Or should I say, my reactions and actions were a mixed bag. Here we go, in no particular order (if I can remember it all).

Good: While comparing my blood work results to results from 2007, I was disappointed. When I dug up my results from earlier in the year, I was really pretty darned happy. My cholesterol dropped from 236 to 200. My LDL dropped from 165 to 140. So I did make some change - pretty much back to almost the levels I was in 2007.

Good: As I was leaving the office and walking to my car, I noticed the weather still looked very sketchy. So instead of just going home and not being able to ride and knowing that I wouldn't want to go to the gym after I'd got home, I just turned around and walked back to the gym at work and got in a good workout.

Bad: Got a call from my Mother telling me all the things that needed to be fixed around the property at Reata South. Along with some op-ed tidbits from her. Wanting a loan to replace the board fences, along with some other work.

Good: I managed to stay cool, calm and collected through this call. I did not react to the op-ed bits. I did say that I would take it under advisement and that she was not to hire any sort of contractor without my permission. Let's all recall the great "asphalt scam" of a year or so ago. Also good, in my working with Meg, we came up with a budget for repairs/replacement stuff on this property. I've spent most of this year's portion already, but next year isn't that far away. Some of the repairs are critical, but they are not urgent. Yes, they need to be repaired, but more damage isn't being done. It can wait until next year's budget. The fences, however, are another story. I'm not spending a dime on fences. Yes, they look unsightly, but that's just cosmetic. There are other things that are of a much greater priority.

Bad: In dealing with any sort of contracting/repair situation, I feel so powerless and so vulnerable. I am unknowledgable in these areas and that always causes me a great deal of stress.

Good: A coworker just had a very positive experience in dealing with a contractor that was recommended by another coworker. I don't know if he can/would do the kind of work I need, but I get a bit of comfort from just having someone to call. I can call him and get an estimate or perhaps acquire some more information.

Bad: If/when I decide to go ahead with the work, I will have to make it very, very clear that I make all the decisions on the job. All changes come through me. We will not be widening the door!

Bad: Sleep has been hard to come by this week, especially night before last. Anytime I am extra tired, I am extra vulnerable to eating crap to try to get an energy boost.

Ugly: 3000 calorie day. I ended up at Wendy's bacon burger, large fries, junior frosty very late in the evening. I should have gone to bed. Oh well.

ETA: I'll be adding more as the day goes on.

Good: Pebbles called and said she and Slater want to come over on Saturday morning and ride bikes again. This makes me incredibly happy. It's such a treat to get to spend time with them.

Bad: An email from Mom - this time sharing more family drama. Pseudo-cousin in jail. Family in turmoil. Yelling and screaming amongst family members. No one has any money.

Good: The above mentioned issues are not mine to solve. I was appropriately compassionate and sympathetic, but I did not respond to it as if it were a call to arms. I almost view it as good news - people will only change at the rate of pain and as a result of the consequences of their choices and behaviors. Perhaps we as a family are moving towards some changes.

Good: After last night's Wendy-a-thon, I am still not hungry. I'm not depriving or restricting, I'm just not yet hungry again.

Bad: I wasn't paying attention and I bought the wrong toilet paper!

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Some days are diamonds; some days are stones.

-Roxie
142.5

9 comments:

  1. Love that.."some days are diamonds, some days are stones" :)

    Sometimes its good to sort out the good/bad..it helps to take a step back think more clearly.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have this place to put it all out. And thanks for sharing the Wendy's "experience". You talk often about how the journey to maintain your good health and weight loss is ongoing and you mostly make great choices. Every once in a while, I don't think a little indiscretion in the food realm is a bad thing. And by the way - nice work on the blood #s!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great title! Thanks for the hug! You're right some days are just better then others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work with contractors a lot and the BEST always come through recommendations from others who use them. Those are the ones who are staking their reputation on good word of mouth. I hope they're all you need. As for the extra calories, well, the not sleeping alone would be enough to put most people straight through the drive-through at any number of places. I'm glad you can see the forest for the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Roxie, what a day! Sounds like you handled it all exceptionally well.

    Secretly, it makes me feel a tiny bit better to know that someone like you, that I admire to the utmost when it comes to weight loss (among other things), can actually have a 3,000 calorie day. It makes me like you even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Worst thing about that day? The toilet paper. Nothing puts one in a cranky mood like TP that isn't suitable!

    At least you found the good amongst that bad for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Some days are diamonds; some days are stones." Amen to that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roxie, I've been reading you for awhile now and just wanted to tell you that I love your blog. I love your honesty, especially when it comes to your family drama. That is something I am really trying to work on. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHHHH..someone has the same kind of family I have. One that would make Jerry Springer dance in his pants . That's why I moved a state away years ago.

    The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly--my husbands favorite movie. When I supervised a team of people, I used that as the format for some of my team meetings. Bribed them with cookies.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.